Falling User/TF count

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Transrational

Falling User/TF count

Post by Transrational »

I've been folding for four months, about 100 machines (4 mil WU to date), and I see the total machines and teraflop count dropping. At one point there 237k users doing 44k TF. Now it's only 175k and 38k. Exodus? Miscount?
ChristianVirtual

Re: Falling User/TF count

Post by ChristianVirtual »

1) Summer ! hot weather might force people to avoid constant running PCs at their home to eventually reduce energy bill
2) An increasing number of alternative distributed computing projects.
3) Other reasons of course possible, too.

and any combination of the three points above
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
Napoleon
Hardware configuration: Atom330 (overclocked):
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Atom330 dualcore (4 HyperThreads)
NVidia GT430, core_15 work
2x2GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G 1333MHz memory kit
Asus AT3IONT-I Deluxe motherboard

Post by Napoleon »

Possibly seasonal fluctuation. Some people pause folding during summer to avoid extra heat or strain on their air conditioning, for example. Also, FAH might have some corporate/institutional donors which fold for a set period of time or a specific goal.

One such example of corporate donation is HPCS. HP did a burn-in for their Cloud Service by folding. For a couple of months, they were one of the most productive folding teams, maybe even the most productive one.
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

1. Hot summer weather, even I have had to shut one machine down which never normally happens
2. Continuing fallout from the BA changes
3. Current corporate folding coming to an end
4. Uni students back at home for the summer and no longer having free electricity/access to their machines

The number is roughly where it has been for the last 6-9 months once you strip out those factors.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

It used to take several PCs to make 100K PPD. Now you can do it with one GPU. The stats numbers are ways changing. Without knowing if Google just started or just ended a large contribution to fah, there no easy or accurate way to discern why those changes happen. Seasonal, Social, Economic? Good luck with that guess. ;)

PS there was a large corp donor that ended a project. See the blog.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.