moving to new pc

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Truebrit

moving to new pc

Post by Truebrit »

hello all. although i've been folding for a few years now, this is the first time i've posted on this forum.
i will be getting a new pc tomorrow, nice shiney oc i5, and i want to carry on folding on this new pc. what i want to know is can i just copy my existing FAH folder over to the new pc or do i download and install the client again and it will carry on with my existing work unit?
i still have a few hours left on my current unit and would like to finish it without losing the results. i have looked on the client i have to see if i can get it to stop once it's finished it's current unit, which would be the easy way to do things, as i could just dl the client on the new pc and carry on with new work units. but i cant find any settings to do that.

any info on moving onto new pc's from experienced hands would be appreciated
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: moving to new pc

Post by 7im »

Hello Truebrit, welcome to the forum.

Moving is not a good option, so when you get the new PC. Install the latest client, and configure with your name, etc.

To finish the current work unit, in V7 client, right click the slot in FAHControl to select Finish. It will complete and upload the current WU, then pause. Please note, if you start the computer again, that client will download a new work unit unless you Pause it, or uninstall the client.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

It should also be noted that you can put the "old" computer in another room and let it continue to fold. Whether you run both or replace one with the other, you should use the same Name/Team/Passkey on both FAH Clients.
Truebrit

Post by Truebrit »

Thanks for the info, will let the current unit finish and then run the client on new pc then when it turns up