Deliberately preventing further WU downloads

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Skufer

Deliberately preventing further WU downloads

Post by Skufer »

Hi all,

I would like to know if there is any way to prevent my client from downloading any further WUs? The reason I ask is that I want to run powerful but sporadic and temporary virtual machines for folding, but if I need to get rid of one of these instances and it's in the middle of a WU I can either cancel it or let it finish by which point the next WU has already downloaded!

In this kind of scenario I would inevitably run into trouble with the quick returns bonus, the only way around this I can see is to prevent the client from downloading any more WUs, allow it to finish what it's working on, and then delete the instance, thereby completing all work I had received.

Could someone please advise?
bollix47

Re: Deliberately preventing further WU downloads

Post by bollix47 »

By using the Advanced Control (aka FAHControl) you can click on the Finish button to complete all slots without downloading a new work unit. If you want to finish an individual slot right-click on that slot under "Folding Slots" and you will see a menu that allows you to Finish just that slot. You can do this at any time after a WU has started and before the client downloads a new one which, if using the default, is when the current WU has completed ~99%.
Skufer

Post by Skufer »

Oh wow! I didn't know what that button was for, I've learned something new today. Thank you bollix47!

Do you know if there's a way to do the same thing via the CLI if running the client without a GUI under Linux?
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

Assuming you can't use FAHControl from another computer you can use telnet in linux without a GUI by opening an ssh session or whatever you're using to communicate with said computer and type:

Code: Select all

telnet localhost 36330
finish
quit
Skufer

Post by Skufer »

That's perfect, thank you so much for your help :)