Core 18 and Maxwell

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ChristianVirtual

Re: Core 18 and Maxwell

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Breach wrote: Especially since nVidia is supposed to be "OpenCL conformant":
https://www.khronos.org/conformance/ado ... ies#opencl

Probably they already have appropriate contacts with nVidia with the people responsible for OpenCL compliance.
Good idea (in principal), just add Apple too in that mail. They are on the same page as NVIDIA. And also not working. Then I'm sure they are compliant enough to be compliant. Just not the way we need them to be compliant.
But yeah, never bad to raise the voice of customer.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
Kornflake

Post by Kornflake »

I've submitted the following bug report to http://nvidia-submit.custhelp.com/ with reference number 141218-000430
The purpose of this submission is to gain awareness and move up on the priority list a bug related to the implementation of OpenCL in the new Maxwell cards. This bug is causing an approximate 75% performance decrease in the charity work the Folding at Home (F@H) community is trying to do to study chronic diseases. I recently bought 3 GTX980's primarily for F@H as part of an Alienware Dell Desktop and I am saddened to hear of my mistake in not knowing about this major bug beforehand.

The bug is described in this forum post:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... ver-bug/1/

NVIDIA claims support for OpenCL here:
https://developer.nvidia.com/opencl

The head scientist at F@H claimed you were "working on this bug" here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26980&start=15#p271098

We don't have any location to officially express our demand for this bug fix. I've attached my msinfo in case you wish to review. Thank you for your help!
knopflerbruce

Post by knopflerbruce »

Why not add some code that disables the troublesome projects for GTX970/980? Having a gazillion Maxwells running at half speed is bad for the project in general (=slower returns overall) - it would be way better if those GPUs ran other WUs at full speed. Let 680/780/780ti's run these core 18 units if they perform reasonably well.

...or adjust the point for core 18 until a fix is in place, so that it matches p9201.

Maybe this is nvidia's fault in the end, but it's not like YOU cannot do anything to improve the situation. Stop waiting for the darn driver and do something useful that makes a difference NOW! Change the points, or "ban" core 18 from Maxwell GPUs. I'm not a coder, but this must be a rather simple task (alot simpler than fixing the driver!).
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

What you describe has been debated since the problem was first recognized in March.
The decision was made to release the WU from beta despite not having a resolution of the known problem.

I could link you to a dozen threads, but your best bet(in theory) is to participate here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/foldingathome/ ... l_support/
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
Kjetil

Post by Kjetil »

Yes and do they fix it, no?
bruce

Post by bruce »

Kjetil wrote:Yes and do they fix it, no?
They have identified (isolated) the main problem. That's only the first step in fixing it, but it's probably the most important step.
Classicman34

Post by Classicman34 »

Hello everyone,

It has been more than 4 months since the issue has been isolated. Has the fix been provided or is it already integrated into the core 18?

Regards.
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

With some very recent fixes on the NV side, we’ve been testing a new core.
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
mpharrigan
Pande Group Member

Post by mpharrigan »

The fix is in beta and will be rolling out ~ next week
bruce

Post by bruce »

Will this require us to update drivers?
coredump4

Post by coredump4 »

This is good news! Will clients with the "beta" flag have a chance to test the core?
Nert

Post by Nert »

Any driver requirements should be noted somewhere.

I see that Core 18 is going to general users as outlined in this thread (I hope I did this link right):
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=27417&start=30.

I mostly just want to know what driver version I should have on my 750 TIs to be able to provide maximum benefit.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

From info from having read other people's reports: The latest v.4 of the core_18 seems to run okay on all driver versions, but runs best on Maxwell cards with Win drivers 347.xx and above, and Lin drivers 346.xx and above (which support CUDA SDK 7).
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
jimerickson
Hardware configuration: Parts:
Asus H370 Mining Master motherboard (X2)
Patriot Viper DDR4 memory 16gb stick (X4)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 gpu (X16)
Intel Core i7 8700 cpu (X2)
Silverstone 1000 watt psu (X4)
Veddha 8 gpu miner case (X2)
Thermaltake hsf (X2)
Ubit riser card (X16)

Post by jimerickson »

thank you 7im!
Nert

Post by Nert »

Looks like I'm good to go [version 347.52] I'm looking forward to seeing some x'18 cores come down the line.

Thanks 7im.