Post BA question regarding work

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post BA question regarding work

Post by Nathan_P »

I currently run BA on a variety of E5 2p machines, post the end of BA these will drop back to SMP. So my question is what work will be available in the SMP line - I know that a lot of newer projects on the A4 core are specified for 2-24 threads. Will there be a steady stream of A3/A4 work for machines with 24+ threads, after all my fastest machine can return a A3/A4 WU in less than 4 hours and there are faster machines than mine out there?
kromberg

Re: Post BA question regarding work

Post by kromberg »

Seems like a reasonable to be answered.
Grandpa_01
Hardware configuration: 3 - Supermicro H8QGi-F AMD MC 6174=144 cores 2.5Ghz, 96GB G.Skill DDR3 1333Mhz Ubuntu 10.10
2 - Asus P6X58D-E i7 980X 4.4Ghz 6GB DDR3 2000 A-Data 64GB SSD Ubuntu 10.10
1 - Asus Rampage Gene III 17 970 4.3Ghz DDR3 2000 2-500GB Segate 7200.11 0-Raid Ubuntu 10.10
1 - Asus G73JH Laptop i7 740QM 1.86Ghz ATI 5870M

Post by Grandpa_01 »

Unfortunately the only people that can answer it either have not seen it, or are choosing not to answer it.
2 - SM H8QGi-F AMD 6xxx=112 cores @ 3.2 & 3.9Ghz
5 - SM X9QRI-f+ Intel 4650 = 320 cores @ 3.15Ghz
2 - I7 980X 4.4Ghz 2-GTX680
1 - 2700k 4.4Ghz GTX680
Total = 464 cores folding
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Grandpa_01 wrote:Unfortunately the only people that can answer it either have not seen it, or are choosing not to answer it.
I would agree. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

To contact them, try the subreddit. It's new and it's not clear how questions like that will be answered.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Grandpa_01 wrote:Unfortunately the only people that can answer it either have not seen it, or are choosing not to answer it.
bruce wrote:To contact them, try the subreddit. It's new and it's not clear how questions like that will be answered.
Would not the same issues apply to this forum as to reddit?
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Except that the idea of reddit is for PG to get an idea what is relevant for donors/participants by watching the votings/feedback. And hopefully they choose to respond on the topics in high demand. Let try it, it might work out better (and the mods here hopefully have a peaceful holiday season).
But it get offtopic,

@Nathan_P, please repost over in reddit and let's see what the response will be
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
7im

Post by 7im »

ChristianVirtual wrote:Except that the idea of reddit is for PG to get an idea what is relevant for donors/participants by watching the votings/feedback. And hopefully they choose to respond on the topics in high demand. Let try it, it might work out better...
I don't see much difference between checking the new posts here once a week/month, or reading Reddit once a week/month, whatever.

Hot topics here stay at the top of the new posts list because the topic is active, same as upvoted topics over there.

Maybe in 6 months, when there is a lot more content, and a lot more traffic, and a lot more upvoting, something might filter up on Reddit. Do we really need to wait that long?
sortofageek
Site Admin

Post by sortofageek »

We are redirecting questions which would like consideration by Pande Group to the subreddit and closing them here. The primary purpose of this site is donors helping other donors fold.

The subreddit description is pretty clear that is the place to ask such questions or express concerns.
This subreddit is geared to improving communication between Folding@home donors and the Pande Lab at Stanford University and scientists at other Folding@home research centers. Have a question about how Folding@home works, or have a concern that you think should be addressed by the developers? Post it here! In return, developers can respond and researchers can share their work.
For those who don't know, the announcement of the new subreddit was announced via the official blog this morning.

See ---> https://folding.stanford.edu/home/a-sub ... ss-topics/
Rattledagger

Post by Rattledagger »

sortofageek wrote:We are redirecting questions which would like consideration by Pande Group to the subreddit and closing them here. The primary purpose of this site is donors helping other donors fold.

The subreddit description is pretty clear that is the place to ask such questions or express concerns.
Well a fairly natural first step to steer atleast some of the users to subreddit is to add a link to it at the top of these forums, under the "F@h Links".
7im

Post by 7im »

Rattledagger wrote:
sortofageek wrote:We are redirecting questions which would like consideration by Pande Group to the subreddit and closing them here. The primary purpose of this site is donors helping other donors fold.

Well a fairly natural first step to steer atleast some of the users to subreddit is to add a link to it at the top of these forums, under the "F@h Links".
No. They are not steering all donors there, just those with questions only PG can answer. Everyone else stays here.
sortofageek
Site Admin

Post by sortofageek »

7im wrote: No. They are not steering all donors there, just those with questions only PG can answer. Everyone else stays here.
That is how I understand it at this time, too. Thanks for clarifying. Since the subreddit was initiated by Dr. Pande for the purpose stated above, it just makes sense to post there and/or vote on topics donors would like to have addressed.

Amendment: This is new. My understanding is not law and it is subject to change based on new understanding.
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

Grandpa beat me to it, lets see what the response is....
Rattledagger

Post by Rattledagger »

7im wrote:No. They are not steering all donors there, just those with questions only PG can answer. Everyone else stays here.
Hmm, my meaning didn't come-across the pond correctly. ;)

The problem is, atleast at the moment Folding@home has no links to subreddit outside the blog but instead steers all donors with any kind of question to these forums. At the moment the message about subreddit is easily seen as the 2nd. blog-message, but in some weeks or months this will drop-off the first page and unless there is a link to subreddit very few will know anything about subreddit at all and it's intended usage. For this reason adding a link with a good description is adviseable, so anyone having anything "only PandeGroup can answer" knows where to post it. Or probably more commonly see someone else has already asked about it.

Unless all posts made by someone in PandeGroup to the subreddit is re-posted on these forums, I find it fairly naturally to want to look on both the "new posts" on these forums and for any new posts on the subreddit, even if I don't wants/needs/have-the-time to post anything myself to either location.
7im

Post by 7im »

Not a bad suggestion, but I think more changes could be on the way, and this is just the start. If not, they should add the link.