changing OS from Windows 7 to Debian Jessie

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

beer

changing OS from Windows 7 to Debian Jessie

Post by beer »

Hi
I am thinging of changing my os from Windows 7 to Debian Jessie and would hear if you know anything (folding related) that I should be aware of?
My folding setup is:
i7 4770S with smp6
nvidia geforce 970 with gpu

I am aware that I need driver from debian experimental to make this to work since the drivers in Jessie dont support geforce 970. The people in #debian on freenote dont think it will course any problems.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: changing OS from Windows 7 to Debian Jessie

Post by Jesse_V »

I'm familiar with Wheezy but haven't tried Jessie yet. Unless Sid includes 343.22, which I don't think it does, you will more than likely need to install the driver manually.

I recently wrote up some steps for manual installation of Nvidia drivers in Mint, but they should also apply to any distro. viewtopic.php?f=80&t=27040 In your case, change step 4 to the display manager behind whatever desktop you're using; everything else should be the same AFAIK. Get back with me if you have any questions.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.