Using the new F@h subreddit

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

davidcoton

Using the new F@h subreddit

Post by davidcoton »

Nice to see a response to the roadmap request on Reddit here in a comment from Dr Pande.

However, there is a big weakness with Reddit. It is very difficult to spot new comments to old topics. I suppose this in itself should be a reddit post....

A second problem arises from the diversification of communication channels. I already try to monitor FF, FAH Reddit, FAH Blog, and the nVidia forum (even if the bug post there gets no official response and might be the wrong nVidia forum). I know I'm missing IRC for ocores (I'm not sitting at my PC all day so it's not appropriate) and maybe other things. Does the appropriateness of each channel outweigh the lack of a single point of information dissemination?

Posted here for discussion because I have no idea what to suggest on Reddit yet....

Mod Edit: Changed title from Roadmap ~sortofageek
billford
Hardware configuration: Full Time:

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti
2x 3GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)
3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook
1.6GHz Core 2 Duo Acer laptop

Re: Using the new F@h subreddit

Post by billford »

If you point your favourite RSS reader to

http://www.reddit.com/r/foldingathome/comments/.rss

it'll pick up all comments to all topics. Doesn't pick up new topics (it does pick up comments to them), but they're easy enough to spot :wink:

More on RSS and Reddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathogendavid/ ... nd_reddit/
gwildperson

Post by gwildperson »

+1

While reddit does allow the Pande Group to learn which comments are important to many of us, it is useless when it comes to finding which topics have an official reply or even to find new replies from others. In that regard, foldingforum.org isn't much better but it does allow us to read only those replies which are new to us and I never needed RSS. I'll have to try RSS with reddit and see if that helps.
billford
Hardware configuration: Full Time:

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti
2x 3GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)
3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook
1.6GHz Core 2 Duo Acer laptop

Re: Using the new F@h subreddit (edited)

Post by billford »

gwildperson wrote:I'll have to try RSS with reddit and see if that helps.
Most browsers support RSS, but I find it more convenient/flexible to use a separate app (I use Vienna on the Mac). I leave it running in the background, every hour (or whatever interval I set) it will check all the feeds I'm subscribed to and grab anything new. (Usually just a brief version of it, it depends how the feed is set up.)

It really is invaluable for any site where potentially interesting/useful data is likely to crop up at unpredictable intervals and mixed with other stuff- forums, news sites, blogs etc etc. If an article is not of interest you just move on to the next one, if it is you click the link and it takes your browser straight to the page.

Saves one hell of a lot of searching around, or remembering to check sites at intervals :)

Edit- I think I misinterpreted your "...and I never needed RSS." comment as "… I've never used RSS."

So apologies for the RSS Class 101 tone, no offence intended.
Last edited by billford on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
sortofageek
Site Admin

Post by sortofageek »

Since Dr. Pande has made the decision to use the subreddit as the platform for interface with F@h donors, it's unlikely that PG will respond to a suggestion about a road map unless it becomes a popular suggestion on their new communications site.

Since any changes in that regard can only come from a PG decision, I can think of no reason why a "Roadmap" topic should be entertained here, a site which is focused on assistance to donors who need help folding.

Since we're just getting started with this change, I can see allowing a topic of "reddit navigation" to allow some help with that, etc. Please understand the decision to use the subreddit for interface with PG has been made by Dr. Pande. Therefore, this really is not the place to debate that decision.

As for the navigation on reddit, perhaps this link bollix47 gave me will help you? It is a beginniner's guide to reddit: http://mashable.com/2012/06/06/reddit-for-beginners/
sortofageek
Site Admin

Post by sortofageek »

gwildperson wrote:
While reddit does allow the Pande Group to learn which comments are important to many of us, it is useless when it comes to finding which topics have an official reply or even to find new replies from others. In that regard, foldingforum.org isn't much better but it does allow us to read only those replies which are new to us and I never needed RSS. I'll have to try RSS with reddit and see if that helps.
You can click on the reddit member name to see all posts from that member. Neither platform is perfect for everything, but the discussion of such decisions belongs on the subreddit since any decision would belong to Dr. Pande.