Estimated PPD vs "actual"

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

DOA

Estimated PPD vs "actual"

Post by DOA »

In the advanced control on the bottom I see "Total Estimated Per Day: 550,000" give or take 10,000. I ran 48 hours uninterrupted.
folding.extremeoverclocking/team_summary is where I check my score and it shows 175,000.
Where am I messing up? I have checked my settings. Or is that normal for folding.extremeoverclocking to be off by a factor of three?
If folding.extremeoverclocking is not reliable, where should I check my PPD?
I am running dual AMD 290x so 500,000 PPD is what I would expect.
gwildperson

Re: Estimated PPD vs "actual"

Post by gwildperson »

DOA wrote:If folding.extremeoverclocking is not reliable, where should I check my PPD?
I am running dual AMD 290x so 500,000 PPD is what I would expect.
I can think of two possibilities.

First, points are credited after the WUs are completed. If a WU runs for a week, you might get those points within your 48hr window or you might not. The 48 hr credits might change radically but the long-term average will not change.

Second, the client assumes you earn the have a qualified passkey on every client and it reports the PPD assuming that the QRB is applied. EOC shows actual points earned.

If you list the WUs that were credited during your 48 hr window, a Mod can check the points for those WUs.
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

Welcome to the folding@home support forum DOA.

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong ... you will eventually end up with an average closer to the larger number. The 24HR avg figure on EOC is an average of the points received for the last 7 days.

From the EOC Stats FAQ:
Q: How do you calculate the averages?
A: A 24hr average is simply the past 7 day's total divided by 7. I tried linear regression and other techniques but the numbers all came out so close it was not worth the extra processing or complexities in the code.
For PPD you can use Advanced Control aka FAHControl or use a 3rd party software like HFM.net.
DOA

Post by DOA »

Thanks for the information, I figured it was something like that. I just need to be patient and let it cook a while.