Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

noorman
Hardware configuration: Folders: Intel C2D E6550 @ 3.150 GHz + GPU XFX 9800GTX+ @ 765 MHZ w. WinXP-GPU
AMD A2X64 3800+ @ stock + GPU XFX 9800GTX+ @ 775 MHZ w. WinXP-GPU
Main rig: an old Athlon Barton 2500+ @2.25 GHz & 2* 512 MB RAM Apacer, Radeon 9800Pro, WinXP SP3+
Location: Belgium, near the International Sea-Port of Antwerp

Post by noorman »

Just a report, but I feel I have to make it.

A while ago I had downloaded EMIII (from the official website).

Yesterday I ran a Virus scan, of my downloads too this time and it found a virus in the downloaded .zip file of that application.

It was quatantined and I manually deleted it later ...

So take care to scan for Viruses !

New topic split from ---> http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=218 ~sorto'
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

TheWeatherMan would never post software for download if it was infected.

Your AV software would have checked that file during the download. And as you said, you downloaded the file a long time ago, so the file was more likely infected after the download. Odd that you just now found the virus.

The official EM III web site has been down A VERY LONG TIME. And unless you paid money for your AV software, I have to assume the infection happened after the download, or you got a false warning from a free AV software.

I never had any problems downloading the software, or with AV and EMIII.
noorman
Hardware configuration: Folders: Intel C2D E6550 @ 3.150 GHz + GPU XFX 9800GTX+ @ 765 MHZ w. WinXP-GPU
Main rig: an old Athlon Barton 2500+ @2.25 GHz & 2* 512 MB RAM Apacer, Radeon 9800Pro, WinXP SP3+

Post by noorman »

7im wrote:TheWeatherMan would never post software for download if it was infected.

Your AV software would have checked that file during the download. And as you said, you downloaded the file a long time ago, so the file was more likely infected after the download. Odd that you just now found the virus.

The official EM III web site has been down A VERY LONG TIME. And unless you paid money for your AV software, I have to assume the infection happened after the download, or you got a false warning from a free AV software.

I never had any problems downloading the software, or with AV and EMIII.

Sorry 7im, your deduction is wrong;
first off, my AV is mought and payed for (Computer Associates Anti-Virus) up-to-date through automatic updating (this at least once a day) !

Next: you tell me my AV would have detected the virus when I downloaded it; when I downloaded the EMIII zipped installation, my AV had much older definition-data then it has now.
An updated system from months later (or even days later) would detect viruses that it COULD NOT do the previous time/run !

The download may have been from a year or more ago, don't know.

Since neither AV solution can promise 100% detection rate, it could be that the provider of the download could have been infected.
By the way, his chances would be higher than mine due to his greater contact with the WWW than mine ...

I can't be sure, but I don't think it 's a false positive (either).
I 've never had one in the past, with this same CA Antivirus program.
I 'm a longtime paying cusyomer of this AV and I am very happy with its performance.

7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

If CA took more than a year to update the virus definitions for a virus found in a file that was downloaded more than a year ago, that would give me great concern that CA was not updating the virus definitions fast enough to keep up with all of today's viruses, let along the viruses from a year ago. :roll:

That leads me to believe the infection was either recent or false.

I'm happy with EMIII, and you're happy with CA. I guess we can both be happy. :)
noorman

Post by noorman »

7im wrote:
If CA took more than a year to update the virus definitions for a virus found in a file that was downloaded more than a year ago, that would give me great concern that CA was not updating the virus definitions fast enough to keep up with all of today's viruses, let along the viruses from a year ago. :roll:

I'm happy with EMIII, and you're happy with CA. I guess we can both be happy. :)

Sorry, wrong again.

It is I who took over a year to check that download again with CA.
CA does send me new 'definitions' every day !

7im

Post by 7im »

noorman wrote:
7im wrote:

Sorry, wrong again.

It is I who took over a year to check that download again with CA.
CA does send me new 'definitions' every day !

I'm not wrong. And the reason I am correct is because it doesn't matter who failed to scan that file, or when the definition was updated.

Any AV software worth a damn will scan ALL downloaded files!!! So either the AV software is crap and missed the virus in the original download, OR, the file got infected on YOUR computer sometime in the last year while it wasn't being scanned. So then when you scanned it again a year later, the good AV software found the virus that came later.

So either there WAS a virus and CA is crap, or there was NOT a virus in the original file, and CA is good software. You CAN'T claim both. A lot of people downloaded EMIII, and NO ONE but you EVER claimed there was a virus, at least until now, with a file that hasn't been scanned by you in a long time, but gets scanned each and every day by everyone of us still using the file. Use some logic. :roll:

Stop bashing a well respected 3rd party application when you have absolutely no proof nor any idea of when the infection took place, which was anytime in the last year.
sortofageek
Site Admin

Post by sortofageek »

A large number of members of my team have used EMIII for years, every single version. No virus reports have surfaced related to this nifty monitor. I have never seen such a report in the community forums until now, either.
noorman

Post by noorman »

I 'm just reporting what I found ...

And if you want logic; when the file was downloaded it could have contained a virus that wasn't yet in the definitions of the day.
Antivirus programs are always running after the facts :roll:

When I then, x time later, run a daily updated (still CA, used worldwide in lots of big corporations) and it finds a virus, this can be perfectly true and neither the AV was 'bad' nor was the file not infected.

I know about false positives too.

Maybe this was one.

Since I don't want viruses on my rigs, even in quarantine, I immediately removed it from my system without further research at that time.

After downloading that zip, I 've never used it because at that time I started using FahMon to monitor my then 4 rigs that were Folding.

I have always had rigs with partitioned drives (more than 4-5 part. per physical drive).
Scanning after downloading is mostly done on the 'system' (OS) partition, rarely on the rest of them, mainly because most virii are dropped in system folders or the 'program files' folder ... and because of the time it takes to scan an 80 and/or a 160 GB drive !

I believe you when you say you have had no reports about infections.
I was NOT trying to bash EMIII, I just report what I encountered and I 'm not usually silenced by 1 reaction stating the contrary to what I 'm claiming.
If you call that bashing, then it is, in your eyes.

I 'll leave it at that.
Sorry for reporting findings ... :oops: