Full config file docs

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

zen42

Full config file docs

Post by zen42 »

Can anybody point me toward a full reference for the FAH7 config files.

I'm looking for a list of every single option with its possible answers, with explanations if possible.

I have tried looking but my google-fu must be weak

Thanks
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Full config file docs

Post by 7im »

The most current list is at your (command line) disposal.

FAHClient.exe --help

If you would share the WHY of the question, not just the HOW, we may be able to provide additional guidance.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
zen42

Post by zen42 »

I've seen that before and its useful, guess I figured that somewhere there must be fuller docs, but if not then I’ll make do

The reason I ask is that im making a template for the config file and I thought that instead of just building it for me a I could put a little bit more effort in and build something that can be useful to somebody else as well. To do that though I needed more information as the vast majority of the options I've never/will never use(d).
bruce

Post by bruce »

zen42 wrote:The reason I ask is that im making a template for the config file and I thought that instead of just building it for me a I could put a little bit more effort in and build something that can be useful to somebody else as well.
That's not likely. The installation determines what hardware you have (and that wouldn't be useful to somebody else) and the settings for User, Team, and Passkey need to be set by everybody. What's left for you to set would be to set everything else to the default values, which are pretty good for everybody -- leaving nothing for you to provide.

The one thing left is the Power setting, and the default Medium is best for minimum impact on foreground processing. Many people set it to Full, which give more PPD, but depending on your hardware, may produce an unacceptable screen lag. You'd still have to give the person enough information for them to make a choice.

We normally recommend that you don't change anything unless you have a good reason to change it ... so perhaps you could list what default settings you believe need to be changed and why.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

While I appreciate your ambition, Bruce is right. 95% of those default settings probably should never change. Personnally I change only two, other than name, team, and passkey. Those are client type because I do client testing, and to set the next unit % to 100%. Oh, I also pause and unpause, which can be a setting, but it's just a control switch to me.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.