Harmful link to F@H , likely a virus - report it!! [fixed]

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

CygnusXI

Harmful link to F@H , likely a virus - report it!! [fixed]

Post by CygnusXI »

I was just surfing around F@H videos on google, and found this http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ie99p This link is safe to click to report the video, but I wouldn't touch the link in the comments with a 10 foot pole.

It claims to be a cracked version of F@H, its most likely a virus common sense from a glimpse at the link will say.

I already reported it as harmful material, I recommend others report it as well so it is taken down.

The video only has a handful of views but I think its best the issue be taken care of sooner than later.
Napoleon
Hardware configuration: Atom330 (overclocked):
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Atom330 dualcore (4 HyperThreads)
NVidia GT430, core_15 work
2x2GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G 1333MHz memory kit
Asus AT3IONT-I Deluxe motherboard

Re: Harmful link to F@H , likely a virus - report it!!

Post by Napoleon »

Looks like the whole thing - not just the comment - got removed already, your link directs to http://www.dailymotion.com/ and on the top of the page there is a banner saying
Content removed
This video has been removed due to a breach of the Terms of Use.
CygnusXI

Re: Harmful link to F@H , likely a virus - report it!! [fix

Post by CygnusXI »

Whoa, they act quick with a complaint. I did leave a lengthy complaint though :) . Anyways glad that's fixed.

I'll try to make it a habit to search for these links that are obviously viruses once in a while and report them. Might want to have PG investigate or someone who has the time to build a crawler to preempt these kind of things. It would be awful if someone thought they were downloading F@H only to get a virus. I know a little about the F@H security I really don't think someone would go out of their way to make a cheater and even if they did I'm positive the F@H servers would detect false results.

Thinking back I should have saved the link to forward to someone with an OS made for analyzing viruses so we could send that info off to something like virus total or whatever "honey pot" for viruses the big anti viri software companies use. Someone could probably ask for the link that was on that page if they so wish to pursue that to ensure protection, and forward that virus info to something common like McAfee or Norton. It's likely just a common virus and nothing new but being security minded I hate taking chances myself.
Last edited by CygnusXI on Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

More than likely it had nothing to do with F@h at all, only named as F@h, and infected the PC when you ran it, never even attempting to contact the Stanford servers.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

CygnusXI wrote: It claims to be a cracked version of F@H, its most likely a virus common sense from a glimpse at the link will say.
If you want a cracked F@H and get a virus instead, I am not seeing any downside to that. We do not need cheaters in F@H
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends