How Do You Kill An (Apparently) Faulty Work Unit?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Alan C. Lawhon

How Do You Kill An (Apparently) Faulty Work Unit?

Post by Alan C. Lawhon »

I have just noticed that a certain work unit, (i.e. PRCG 7520 (5,9,86)), has been running on my computer for quite some time - at least a week. I noticed that execution of the WU got up to around 90-95 percent complete and then the WU appeared to "reset" and began re-executing from the beginning. The first time I noticed this, I thought it was a fluke so I let the WU continue running. After the second time the WU got up to 90+ percent complete and then reset again, (back to 2.00 percent complete), I decided to "Pause" the WU and let it sit until the expiration date (September 29) is reached - hoping that this problem would take care of itself. The current [displayed] statistics for PRCG 7520 (5,9,86) - on my client control display are:

Progress: 2.00%
ETA: 121.62 days (that's not a typo)
Credit: 850 (previously the credit had been 2483 on the first run up to 90 percent completion.)

I'm wasting a lot of processing time that could be used more productively, so I'm wondering if there is a way (from my client control) that I can remove the [apparently faulty] WU and begin execution on a new WU?

TIA for any helpful information. (If a SysAdmin can take care of this without any intervention from me, that would be great too.)

Alan "The Cruncher" Lawhon (Ha! Ha!)
bruce

Re: How Do You Kill An (Apparently) Faulty Work Unit?

Post by bruce »

The server running Project 7520 has issued a number of corrupt WUs. The server is no longer issuing them but it's likely those that have already been issued will continue to be a problem until they're manually deleted.

One method to delete the WU is to delete the CPU slot. Wait for the client to clean up the files, and then re-add the slot. (There are other methods if that sounds difficult to you.)
Alan C. Lawhon

Post by Alan C. Lawhon »

Bruce:

Can you give me a step-by-step procedure for deleting the CPU slot?

Alan
bruce

Post by bruce »

Open the Advanced Control client (FAHControl)
Click on Configure + Slots + Hilight the slot you wish to remove and click Remove.
Click on Save/OK until you're back to the main screen.
Count to 20
Click on Configure + Slots + Add
Click on Save/OK until you're back to the main screen.
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

One important amendment: between steps 2 and 3, clink "Remove" :)
One unimportant amendment: Count to 20 slowly.