Folding@Home point, CureCoin

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Marton_M

Folding@Home point, CureCoin

Post by Marton_M »

Greetings!
I am fairly knew here and curious about this whole project but I don't really understand everything so if someone could answer me some questions :
Why is it good that we receive points from Folding@Home? What does it doing?
I found a page called CureCoin. What is the purpose of that one?
Thank you! :)
bruce

Re: Folding@Home point, CureCoin

Post by bruce »

As far as FoldingAtHome is concerned, points are a way to measure your contributions and for a lot of people, they give donors a way to compete for their rank in the standings or for their team to compete with other teams. If you participate in a sport, or even if you follow them on TV, what are points worth? Essentially nothing except as a convenient way to encourage participation.

CureCoin is not affiliated with FAH. They're one of several digital coin sites who have chosen to use our points to earn virtual coins. Personally, I believe that there's a lot more value in having your computer solve scientific research challenges than the problems/solutions that are traditionally assigned when "mining" virtual coins.

We are a support site for FAH and neither encourage or discourage you from joining one of the virtual coin projects but we do encourage you to donate computer time to scientific research.
Marton_M

Post by Marton_M »

Thank you for your fast answer!
I just thought that the two is connected in some way.
But in this case I have no question. Science over money for sure! I'm relly excited to be at least a tiny tiny part of this project.
All the best! :)
bruce

Post by bruce »

From their perspective, it's science AND money, not science OVER money, but like I said, we don't advertise for them or any of the other coinage sites.
Marton_M

Post by Marton_M »

I see.
I would like to have one more question if you don't mind. Here on my stat it says "active clients (within 50days) ... ". What does that mean?
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

This is the number of clients (if v6 clients are used) or slots (if v7 clients are used) that have returned work to your account in the last 50 days.

For instance, if you're using one v7 client with two slots (one GPU and one CPU), you should see two active clients in your stats.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Marton_M

Post by Marton_M »

I have 2 slots and in my stats it says 3 active clients.
Rel25917

Post by Rel25917 »

Any changes to the slots like deleting and remaking them or a reinstall and what not can cause them to be seen as a new client in that stats system.
Marton_M

Post by Marton_M »

All right I got it now.
Thank you! :)