Can FAH work with older systems like 2K

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

GPU timpster

Can FAH work with older systems like 2K

Post by GPU timpster »

I like XP because it seems lighter than Windows 7. In fact I may go more more step back. I think XP Nvidia drivers will work with 2K right? Would there be any benefit to running an older system, or does the older code not handle the processing as well?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Can FAH work with older systems like 2K

Post by Joe_H »

There would be a number of problems with running an older version of Windows. At this point Win 2K is not supported at all for folding, I don't even know if you can get all of the necessary libraries and .NET version that are needed for the current client. See the Requirements - http://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide/ ... ide/#ntoc4.

Win XP folders are already reporting issues with some of the newer GPU folding cores. They require newer versions of the video drivers, and both nVidia and AMD-ATI have announced ending of some support for Win XP in terms of OpenCL in their video drivers.

If you are only doing CPU folding, Win XP is less of an issue for now. But that may change in the future if the work on a new CPU folding core that Dr. Pande has mentioned leads to a new CPU core being released.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

The version of Windows has very little to do with folding performance. The PC just has to meet the minimum specifications for folding. XP SP3 or newer.

Windows XP folds at the same speed as Windows 10. All the work is done inside the FAHCore. The Folding@home software uses almost nothing of the Windows code for processing CPU work units. Only for monitoring the client, and sending work units back and forth to Stanford. GPU work units are little more involved, but only with the Vendor's drivers, not the Operating System's drivers, etc.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
GPU timpster

Post by GPU timpster »

O.K. I'll stick with windows 7! Thank you all!
mmonnin

Post by mmonnin »

You could always go lighter with Linux if thats an option for you. I run that for extra folding PCs with Win7 for my desktop.
Duce H_K_
Hardware configuration: MoBo•Gigabye X99 UD4-CF F24
CPU•<UPD 20.05.2023>Xeon V3 2680 V4 14c28t 35Mb L3
RAM•DDR4 Hynix 2133 CL14 4*16 DualRank Quad channel
HDD•ST1000DM003 Sata3 NCQ
GFX•GT220
PSU•Chieftec GPS750C 80+ Gold after repair
Cooling•Air 2xDeepCool UF120

Internet•200Mbit/s FTTB↓ white dynamic, ERTH, router RB951G-2HnD

Other•Redmi 7A <runs WUProp :-/>

Post by Duce H_K_ »

mmonnin wrote:You could always go lighter with Linux if thats an option for you. I run that for extra folding PCs with Win7 for my desktop.
That's true. You can also maintain an extra PPD with this OS over against Windows 7/8/8.1. But currently FAQs about GPU folding on Linux seem difficult to me, as soon as I gather my forces I will try one
   510 290 819 pts earned in Folding@home project
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

Duce H_K_ wrote:
mmonnin wrote:You could always go lighter with Linux if thats an option for you. I run that for extra folding PCs with Win7 for my desktop.
That's true. You can also maintain an extra PPD with this OS over against Windows 7/8/8.1. But currently FAQs about GPU folding no Linux seem difficult to me, as soon as I gather my forces I will try one
Its not as difficult as it sounds.

Download a distro of Linux - I currently use Zorin 9 for gpu folding.
Install distro of Linux
Install gpu drivers - this is the hardest bit - but there are guides on a couple of the team sites that make it very easy, like 3 commands easy
install v7 client and set up name, team and passkey

Fold.
mmonnin

Post by mmonnin »

Yeah, hardest bit is just getting rid of the default drivers and it not being a single click of the .exe file.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Linux is a totally differetmt OS than Windows, so your caution make sense. Fortunately you're suggesting that you won't be using it for anything except FAH and getting it installed and running is pretty straightforward ... and you can get help if you need it, especially to get the. GPU drivers installed.

The V7 FAHControl for Linux and for Windows are almost identical, so if you're already doing that on Windows, it's a piece of cake. If you've already used the remote clients in the left column of FAHClient, you won't even need to log on to a system that seems strange to you. You may need help setting up remote clients unless you're already familiar with it.

Then you can learn Linux little-by-little if you're so inclined -- or not.
GPU timpster

Post by GPU timpster »

Linux mint (and Ubuntu to my knowlegde) has a great tool called "Hardware Drivers" where you just select the new GPU driver and click install. Then logout and start folding again.