Folding@Home story thread?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

fangfufu
Hardware configuration: 4 cores on a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K

Folding@Home story thread?

Post by fangfufu »

Folding@Home has been going on for a long time now. I kind of want to know a bit more about the people behind it. For example, who is "bruce" - the site admin? Is he in Dr Pande's research group? It would be nice to know the personal stories behind the usernames - what drove everyone to fold.

I started folding back in the days of Google Compute - when I was in 13 years old. Now I am doing a PhD in Computer Science. I have to say Folding@Home sort of made me interested in biology and computer science - I did attempt (and fail) to do a biochemistry degree.

I consider Dr Pande as one of my personal heroes - getting everyone together and contribute to science. I think it would be nice if someone collates a story book about the project, and everyone behind it.

Apologies if this is a bit off-topic.
Folding with 4 cores on Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K

I first started folding back in the Google Compute days!
mmonnin

Re: Folding@Home story thread?

Post by mmonnin »

I'm not an admin or anything but...I saw an article about FAH in a magazine in like 2001 or so. A friend at school was a forum member of a site that had a FAH Team so I joined their team and started to fold with them. After also becoming a forum member and browsing around the entire site my enthusiasm for PCs took off. That enthusiasm in part led me to my choice in colleges and thus my degree. As a senior in college my first and still current employer 10 years later visited their career fair. I was hired and started immediately after college. So in part one could say that FAH led me to my choice in college, my degree and my job.
fangfufu
Hardware configuration: 4 cores on a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K

Post by fangfufu »

It is a shame that you don't hear much about FAH in new media these days. :( I suppose when the mobile client got released, it did create a bit of stir.
Folding with 4 cores on Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K

I first started folding back in the Google Compute days!
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

fangfufu wrote:... what drove everyone to fold ...
You may find some answers in this sub forum: viewforum.php?f=86
bruce

Post by bruce »

Bruce is a volunteer/Donor, just like yourself. I've gained a lot of information over many years mostly by reading this forum. (There's really a lot of information that passes through this site.) I've been to a couple of meetings at Stanford, so I've met a number of Pande Group member, which helps some when 99% of the communications is through the forum or through email. I have a background in computers, programming, and mathematical simulation (though not of chemical systems) plus I read the kind of textbooks that the PG members study in detail plus those portions of the papers that FAH has published, though I often don't fully appreciate all the details..

I started Distributed Computing like many of you with Seti@home but moved on to Genome@home (a sister project of FAH) but when it ended, I was already deeply involved with FAH. I think it goes without saying that I'm deeply dedicated to the success of FAH.

I also have a pretty good understanding of people (psychology, etc.) and that comes in handy as a forum Mod/Admin.
artoar_11
Hardware configuration: AMD R7 3700X @ 4.0 GHz; ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING; DDR4 2x8GB @ 3.0 GHz; GByte RTX 3060 Ti @ 1890 MHz; Fortron-550W 80+ bronze; Win10 Pro/64

Post by artoar_11 »

Folding@home Consortium Conference 2012
On Friday May 25 at Stanford University, we had the first "all-hands on deck" scientific conference for the Folding@home Consortium. The goals were to discuss recent scientific advances, share new techniques for how to better use FAH, as well as to plan for new infrastructure advancements in FAH for the next year.......
bruce

Post by bruce »

Another useful site is http://pande.stanford.edu/ and if you click on the "learn more" link in the People section, you can get a good impression about how many PG members there have been and what they look like.