Running BOINC and Folding at home at the same time?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

dejan_da_dude

Running BOINC and Folding at home at the same time?

Post by dejan_da_dude »

Hey Everyone,

I have recently got started with folding and dedicating my PC for hopefully some good use. I'm running folding at home and Boinc Manager pulling from GPUGRID at the same time, both seem to be making the same amount of progress just as if it were running on its own. But i have two programs running (FAH and BOINC) I ran each program independently and both were using the GPU, so i don't think one of the two is using CPU either. I have a single 980ti sc running at 1400Core& +40 on the memory overclock and constant pc temp on gpu is 56C'

has anyone come across if this is ok to do...PC still running good even both are folding and making progress..

Thanks in advanced!
-DJ
JimboPalmer

Re: Running BOINC and Folding at home at the same time?

Post by JimboPalmer »

There is no problem if one is running on the CPU and one is running on the GPU.

Both will hurt the other if they run on the same processor. In all likelihood Folding at Home will be degraded more as it is more dependent on timely return of results.

In Harry Potter lingo "either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives"
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
dejan_da_dude

Post by dejan_da_dude »

Ok, but neither of the 2 clients are running CPU, I'm just using the single GPU and I can turn on both programs and have them run at a good speed. The Fah core finishes 1hour 1/2 -> 2 1/2 hours per WU depending on the project and the GPUgrid in 8 hrs, which is normal for GPUgrid.

Thanks for any input, just trying to clarify this. I turned one on client and my GPU load went high, turned it off and turned the other client on, gpu load went high again. That kinda tells me both are using GPU right.. is it possible to run two different project on 1 GPU i guess would be my question.

Thanks,
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Technically it might work (and I think I did by accident in the past). But it's not efficient as each time the process change the context on GPU need to swapped in and out. I would focus on one project or run F@H for 12 hours, then change to GPUgrid.

Or a second GPU :wink:
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
dejan_da_dude

Post by dejan_da_dude »

yes second gpu would be nice, but i just blew a grand on this one the other day, maybe in the near future :-)
bruce

Post by bruce »

dejan_da_dude wrote:yes second gpu would be nice, but i just blew a grand on this one the other day, maybe in the near future :-)
I hope you're not thinking in terms of a second 980ti sc. How about, say, a 1gb stock GTX750 ti. I see one for $88.88+ $13.23 shipping