Web dev team: where is latest version published?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

dtgm

Web dev team: where is latest version published?

Post by dtgm »

Where is the uniform resource locator and latest version published so I might retrieve it programmatically?
bruce

Re: Web dev team: where is latest version published?

Post by bruce »

The latest version of what?

Which OS are you running? Are you currently folding?
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Are you a bot ? :D

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
dtgm

Post by dtgm »

:) Sort of. I maintain the chocolatey package at https://chocolatey.org/packages/fah

Sorry, the windows installer, I wanted to post more info, but it wouldn't let me post the URL I was using to check for updates.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Please read our EULA. You are not authorized to distribute the FAH code and anyone using your site to obtain it will be violating the EULA.
dtgm

Post by dtgm »

I am not distributing your code. I just provide the link back to your source. You are distributing it.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Provide a link to http://folding.stanford.edu/ which will always have a DOWNLOAD link to the latest version ... and to versions for each OS.
dtgm

Post by dtgm »

The purpose of chocolatey is to provide an easy way to install windows programs without user interaction like a linux package manager. A user would just type 'choco install fah' or 'choco upgrade fah' ... It simply provides an easy way for advanced users to quickly install and keep your program updated.

There are many links of reference back to your site within the nuspec and on that page.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Note that you cannot just run the client file by itself as your current chocolatey page explains. The installer IS interactive. And you didn't bother to link the Windows install guide.

FAH Windows Install Guide

Here is a link to the FAH client Windows installer. The installer supports Windows XP and above, but some parts of folding, like GPU folding require newer versions of Windows due to lack of 3rd party driver support.

https://fah-web.stanford.edu/file-relea ... .4_x86.exe

Please do follow the EULA, or risk getting your IPs and domain blocked.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

P.S. Here is the FAH license page.
dtgm

Post by dtgm »

(Sorry I can't be more clear, my account is new and doesn't allow posting URLs.)

Correct, this package just performs the install non-interactively. Actual setup of the client still most be performed as noted in the Post-Install notes if it is a new install.

Thank you for pointing out the lack of a link to the Windows Install Guide on the fah Chocolatey page. It should be added. The next time the package gets updated, this will be included on the page.

The URL you provided is the URL I am currently looking using. I am also using the "windows-2008-64bit" directory to retrieve the 64-bit version.

I take the EULA very seriously.

"Distribution of this software is prohibited. It may only be obtained by downloading from Stanford’s web site ([...] and pages linked therein) or the web site of one of our commercial partners (Sony, NVIDIA, and ATI)."

I am using the official link as you pointed out. And my interest is just where this URL may be published so I may ensure I will continue getting the official link. Unfortunately, I do not have the time to manually check as I maintain another ~875 packages so I must do this programmatically. I don't intend to cause any harm, my goal is just to make it easier for people to get up and running with FAH and other Windows programs. I understand there may be a concern that the package may change, but packages are verified automatically and manually by other moderators before they are posted on chocolatey.org. The chocolatey fah package as published on chocolatey.org is immutable after it has been checked by other chocolatey moderators so it may not be altered once it has been approved. Additionally, before a package is installed, the checksum is verified to ensure it is correct.

Note also that chocolatey software is completely open source and is completely free to use for anyone. The entire chocolatey website, program, and every package I manage are all on GitHub. While it would be neat to someday make money doing this, I receive no financial compensation. If any admin here would be interested in helping to maintain the chocolatey package they are more than welcome!

Currently, the latest links are provided on the FAH Linux Install Guide for use with wget and dpkg/apt-get (which is essentially what 'choco install fah' would do). However, the latest Windows links not present on FAH Windows Install Guide. It appears a javascript action is required to display the latest URL. I previously checked the file index via the URL you provided to get a listing of most recent files to see if there are any updates, but the server configuration was changed at some point in the last year to disallow that.
7im

Post by 7im »

dtgm wrote:...snip...

The URL you provided is the URL I am currently looking using. I am also using the "windows-2008-64bit" directory to retrieve the 64-bit version.
Sorry, I am pretty sure the 64 bit folder does not contain a 64 bit client. Both locations hold the same file "fah-installer_7.4.4_x86.exe"

If the 64 bit location had a 64 bit file, it would be named "fah-installer_7.4.4_x64.exe" or "fah-installer_7.4.4_a64.exe"

Thanks.
dtgm

Post by dtgm »

That may be true, but the files don't share the same checksum for some reason:

windows-xp-32bit/v7.4/fah-installer_7.4.4_x86.exe
0762027bdcb0c7ec34847c496bf2cbae4a3fe05a
32 139 488 bytes
Sign date: 4 March, 2014 22:30:42

windows-2008-64bit/v7.4/fah-installer_7.4.4_x86.exe
6a47f22e49ff3567e246bcf05f744ab19c6fad93
29 723 656 bytes
Sign date: 4 March 2014 22:45:54

The above is after redownloading the files just now. The above checksums also match the values as specified in the chocolatey fah package.
7im

Post by 7im »

Good to know. Still doesn't explain the lack of a 64 bit designation in the file name.

Someone may have to try that one out sometime to see if there is a real difference or not.