FoldCoin

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

TheMageKing

FoldCoin

Post by TheMageKing »

If folding@home points could be used a currency, would this work? Obviously, the points system would need a redesign, but if Folding@Home work units were to be used as "work" for a bitcoin-like currency, then it would be equally hard to solve problems, but these problems would benefit the world. It could work as a secondary points system embedded within folding@home, without bonus points but worth money. The presentation of there being to many points would need some work, but if the ratio of normal points to FoldCoin varied with, say, total folding@home processing power, then that should prevent inflation. Sponsoring companies could agree to accept FoldCoin as a currency, and as the currency increased in value, then the companies could pay off their investment. This thread is intended as a problem/solution/support thread, where you try to find fault with the system, post solutions to the faults found, then express support for the movement. If there are already fourm posts about this, then let this one join them.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: FoldCoin

Post by 7im »

There are already crypto-currency projects awarding currency for FAH points. However, to stay with the agnostic nature of the forum and project, no one project has associations with Folding@home.

The forum search tool is your friend. As in this search for the word "coin" in the thread title.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Re: FoldCoin

Post by bruce »

There are several virtual currency sites which do exactly what you're suggesting. Stanford does not support any of them, leaving it entirely up to the Donors to decide if they want to participate there or not.

"...does not support..." includes NOT modifying FAH's points system.

FAH does update a downloadable file on a regular basis which your site can process in any way that makes sense to you.