What is an Active Client?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

abravo

What is an Active Client?

Post by abravo »

Folding at Home says that I have had 26 active clients within the last 50 days, and 20 active clients within the last 7 days. I have nine computers that are folding.

Most others that I see on my team list only have 2 or three active clients, but they are earning as many points per day as I am.

What is considered an active client?
davidcoton

Re: What is an Active Client?

Post by davidcoton »

An active client is a folding slot (CPU or GPU) that has done work in the specified period. So many PCs, having one CPU slot and one GPU slot, will have two active clients. If you change your name, team, hardware or passkey, that will be regarded as a different client.

As to why your nine PCs are earning the same points as people running one or two PCs, are you sure you have the same name, team and (qualified) passkey on all yours? Are you folding full time? What other workload is on your PCs?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Also, reinstalling the client after an uninstall that removes the data files will cause that machine to be issued a new ID when it first connects to the AS. So it will show up as two different clients until 50 days has passed.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
abravo

Post by abravo »

davidcoton wrote:An active client is a folding slot (CPU or GPU) that has done work in the specified period. So many PCs, having one CPU slot and one GPU slot, will have two active clients. If you change your name, team, hardware or passkey, that will be regarded as a different client.

As to why your nine PCs are earning the same points as people running one or two PCs, are you sure you have the same name, team and (qualified) passkey on all yours? Are you folding full time? What other workload is on your PCs?
Thanks for the reply and the information.

I am set up on the same team, am using the same passkey, and am folding at full power "while I am working." I am only folding during the time that I am awake, and I am shutting my computers down when I go to sleep.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

24/7 will result in both more points for you and more science for F@H.
It is your call.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
KjartanD

Post by KjartanD »

Sorry for waking up an old thread but couldn't find anything about this and didn't want to start a new one as this was already here.

My question regarding Active clients is following.

I started folding again on Monday after a few years off, started to fold for "team A", but few hours later changed to "team B". But still now F@H static say that Team B has my 3 active clients, but the team B that I have been folding for last 4 days say I have Zero active clients. My points go to team B though.
I have restarted the computer and all, but still will not log acitve clients under Team B
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

There is a backlog of stats data to be entered into the database, that may be part of the issue. In addition to decrease the load on the database from all of the activity, the stats queries are now done on a copy of the database. I do not have any information on how often the copy is updated from the active database.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3