A smart UI suggestion to improve productivity

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

justintrevorlewis

A smart UI suggestion to improve productivity

Post by justintrevorlewis »

Hello!

First, I love FAH and what it does.

Second, I have a way to improve the software. Suggestions bolded.

In the version I'm describing, version 7.4.4 for Windows, there are two primary control settings:
1) Power - which has Light, Medium and Full
2) When - which has "While I'm working" and "Only when idle"

Combined, there are 6 choice combinations.

My suggestion is to have the "When" settings be independent of each other, so that you can have different Power settings for different "When" times.

E.g. I personally desire to have the settings on my (rather sluggish) machine run in "Light" power mode while I'm working, but cranked up to "Full" power mode while I'm not.

Any questions, please gmail me at justintrevorlewis :-}

As an afterthought, it'd be nice to have a '?' button next to "Only when idle" that explains how to figure out (and potentially adjust) when your computer thinks it's idle...because mine doesn't seem to ever produce on that setting, even overnight.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: A smart UI suggestion to improve productivity

Post by 7im »

The power setting can be set manually for each slot under the Slots configuration.

The on idle settings can be set the same way. But even better, this option can also be set by a right click on each slot in FAHControl.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
DrDamento

Post by DrDamento »

Greetings.

I came to this forum with this same suggestion! Unfortunately, from reading the original post and the reply, I believe the intention of the suggestion may have been lost. Let me try to post my suggestion which I believe to be an interpretation of the previous post.

When the "On Idle" option is checked, it is all or nothing. If you are using your computer, F@H stops completely, unless you go in and change the setting manually. What is being suggested is that there be an option to allow F@H to continue folding while the computer is being used, but at a reduced power setting.

For example, I would have a "While working" setting that I could set to light so that F@H would continue folding at the light setting while I'm using my computer, and then there would be a "On Idle" setting that I could set to full so that the full power could be reached under idle conditions.

I am unsure if this can be achieved in the advanced settings as I have not ventured into that territory, however a UI implementation of this option would be helpful for the layman. I would believe this would also help the F@H team as well as you are not necessarily halting all folding progress while the user is on their machine.

I hope this provides a little more clarity on the suggestion and look forward to seeing if this is possible or can be implemented.

Thank you
-DrDamento
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

DrDamento wrote:...I am unsure if this can be achieved in the advanced settings as I have not ventured into that territory...
Welcome to the F@H Forum DrDamento,

Please note that currently, there's no way to automatically change the slider setting. However, you can write your custom scripts which can pass the information directly to FAHClient via telnet if you wanted to.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
bruce

Post by bruce »

CPU projects have no need to be suspended while you're working. Their low priority takes care of managing their resources.

FAH has no ability to manage a GPU's priority. It's either on or off. GPU projects may need to be set to "on idle" if they create screen lag. With FAHControl, you can manage both of those settings.