The life cycle of a WU

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

RonniePedersenDK

The life cycle of a WU

Post by RonniePedersenDK »

Hi there,

I've tried looking for a description of how the Scientists actually use FAH in their daily workings, but have failed.

I'm simply curious as to how the life cycle of a WU is. How do the people in lab coats "ask" FAH for computational power, and how is the results delivered back to their desks - once the horde of GPU's have crunched the numbers?

Any enlightenment is appreciated. Doesn't have to be ELI5, and a link to a resource with a RTFM tag will also do the trick :)

Thank you.

Cheers
Ronnie
ChristianVirtual

Re: The life cycle of a WU

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Until the real knowledge joins this thread you can get a first glimpse here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/foldingathome/ ... chnically/
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
bruce

Post by bruce »

Many scientists who don't happen to be part of FAH depend on scholarly papers published in scientific journals.

The faq-diseases page gives an overview of some of the diseases which have been/are being studied. At the bottom of that page, there's a link to a page referencing those scientific papers.
FldngForGrandparents

Post by FldngForGrandparents »

bruce wrote:Many scientists who don't happen to be part of FAH depend on scholarly papers published in scientific journals.

The faq-diseases page gives an overview of some of the diseases which have been/are being studied. At the bottom of that page, there's a link to a page referencing those scientific papers.
I noticed it has been three years since that page has been updated. Would be nice to see some later results without having to read through a bunch of papers.

Dedicated to my grandparents who have passed away from Alzheimer's

Dedicated folding rig on Linux Mint 19.1:
2 - GTX 980 OC +200
1 - GTX 980 Ti OC +20
4 - GTX 1070 FE OC +200
3 - GTX 1080 OC +140
1 - GTX 1080Ti OC +120
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

FldngForGrandparents wrote:snip..

I noticed it has been three years since that page has been updated. Would be nice to see some later results without having to read through a bunch of papers.
Actually, the Cancer section had an update in 2014, so only 2 years behind. They just didn't update the "last update" date at the bottom of the page.

I pinged PG about getting more updates on this page.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Dr. Pande has also posted some links to updated information on the blog - https://folding.stanford.edu/home/where ... on-in-fah/.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3