CPU ID: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
CPUs: 4
Memory: 7.82GiB
Threads: WINDOWS_THREADS
OS Version: 6.2
OS Arch: AMD64

Open Advanced control on start

Post by Mannivu »

Hi. I've noticed that everytime I open the software, it also auto-opens the web control. Does anyone know how to stop the software from auto-opening the web control and auto-open the Advanced control window instead? Thank you in advance :D
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Open Advanced control on start

Post by 7im »

Hello Mannivu, welcome to the Folding Support Forum.

Edit the Folding@home shortcut in the Startup folder. Removed the -- web client shortcut.

Advanced Control starts automatically, if you selected the auto start option in the client installer. But it will always run in the tool tray. You may open it from there. I don't know any way to open Advanced Control like the Web Control.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Mannivu
Hardware configuration: CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2328M CPU @ 2.20GHz
CPU ID: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
CPUs: 4
Memory: 7.82GiB
Threads: WINDOWS_THREADS
OS Version: 6.2
OS Arch: AMD64

Post by Mannivu »

Thanks, it worked. :)
QuintLeo

Post by QuintLeo »

I'm still trying to figure out why that useless "web control" thing exists outside of the "web-based client" stuff.
I would REALLY REALLY prefer to open advanced control by default instead of defaulting to that worthless web control thing - a command-line option like the one for "web control" WOULD BE NICE.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

If you don't want to open Web control everytime you launch the client using the FAHClient shortcut, just remove --open-web-control from the shortcut target ... this will just start the client in the background.

Then you can start Advanced control or Web control from the tray icon or from the shortcuts when you need them.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
ComputerGenie

Post by ComputerGenie »

QuintLeo wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why that useless "web control" thing exists outside of the "web-based client" stuff.
I would REALLY REALLY prefer to open advanced control by default instead of defaulting to that worthless web control thing - a command-line option like the one for "web control" WOULD BE NICE.
Agreed, "--open-advanced-control" would be a welcomed option.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

I don't now if that's still the case in current v7 clients (7.4.4 and 7.4.16), but I remember that in some versions of the v7 client, starting FAHControl would also start FAHClient ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Luscious

Post by Luscious »

ComputerGenie wrote: Agreed, "--open-advanced-control" would be a welcomed option.
^^^ +1 to that recommendation.

Recently I needed to go back to 7.4.4 from the current release because basic stuff like buttons wouldn't work in Advanced Control, making configuration impossible. I understand why -open-web-control is there, but it's a nuisance to have to close the browser window or new tab when I don't want it open. The option of -open-advanced-control instead would work far better on installations such as mine where I use Advanced Control to configure, monitor and in essence "control" everything that F@H is doing. The routine of having to right-click on the notification icon to open Advanced Control is an extra step that shouldn't need to be taken IMO.

While we're at it, the ability to tweak this change via the Expert tab instead of going into the F@H shortcut and deleting the nonessential extra characters would be a handy fix too.

I am hoping that whatever comes after 7.5.1 gets to address this minor yet pesky issue.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Personally, I don't use WebControl ... and it has nothing to do with the problems with Chrome. I use HFM which usually alerts me if there's a problem. I open Advanced Control whenever I think I might want it and leave it closed otherwise.
LickWE3D

Post by LickWE3D »

Hi everyone, I've found a way to open advanced control on start:

First open advanced control manualy, then pin the icon to the taskbar. After that, search for the pined icon (it's located in "%AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar"), and then copy it to the startup folder (which is here: "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp").
agraynier

Post by agraynier »

LickWE3D wrote:Hi everyone, I've found a way to open advanced control on start:

First open advanced control manualy, then pin the icon to the taskbar. After that, search for the pined icon (it's located in "%AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar"), and then copy it to the startup folder (which is here: "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp").
Thank you LickWE3D!
This worked great. I had been searching for days for how to do this with the shortcut, and your method finally worked. ^_^