Retention of Folders

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Drift

Retention of Folders

Post by Drift »

I have been folding for a couple of months (on an i5 Mac Mini), and have accumulated about 460,000 points. I have not joined a team. The stats page reveals how many folders have a score higher than mine - 90,456 of 1,867,155 folders. Please tell me that those numbers are in thousands, so that 90,456,000 folders have contributed as much as me. If not, I'm disappointed that Folding@Home attracts and retains so few contributors, apart from the gung-ho users who join teams and run GPU rigs. If those numbers are not in thousands, something is very wrong.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Retention of Folders

Post by 7im »

Hello Drift, welcome to the Folding Support Forum.

Those numbers are in the thousands. 90+ thousand, not 90 million.

Please remember, this is a research project. They don't have an advertising budget. One super bowl add would run the project for the next 10 years. It's all word of mouth, friend and neighbor. Unfortunate, but true. Please do all you can to recruit.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Retention of Folders

Post by Joe_H »

Folding@home has been running for over 15 years, so there are many people represented in those totals who folded for a period of time and then stopped. Currently there are about 30,000 individuals with usernames actively folding, plus an unknown number who fold as user "anonymous". That is the username shown for those who choose to fold anonymously and enter no name or team. They currently are turning in 8-9,000 Wu's a day.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3