why is folding client not part of major distro's?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

beer

why is folding client not part of major distro's?

Post by beer »

Hi
I dont know if I am asking at the right place or if it has been asked before. I am just wondering why the folding client, folding view and the folding interface is not part of the large distros repo? What is the problem that keeps it for entering those repo?

The good thing if it did will be easier to install for linux users
ChristianVirtual

Re: why is folding client not part of major distro's?

Post by ChristianVirtual »

My guess: independent release cycle ...

Until now it was not really difficult to install ; once dependencies are figured out during beta testing (python, some libs); as you mentioned in you other posting.

The EULA might be a more formal blocker
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

As far as I know, persons managing just one Linux distro have requested and received approval to create installer scripts to manage installation of the folding client. As I recall, it downloads the actual installers from the official folding site and takes care of the dependencies related to that distro.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Distros are an insecure form of distribution. FAH software is only available from one source, by design, to help keep the FAH software from getting hacked.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.