Folding@home on Win XP

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Edzar

Folding@home on Win XP

Post by Edzar »

Hi, I am after some help with re-starting F@H on XP after a re-boot - without having to login to XP.

Let me explain the situation...

I have been running F@H at home since around Mar 07 and recently started working away from home. I have left the PC at home running and folding away quite happily within my profile and logged out of XP using the 'Switch User' option.
This is all running okay until one of my boys restarted the PC or we have a power cut!
As I am no longer logged in, F@H does not restart after Windows XP re-boots.
Is there any way to set XP so that F@H will restart without me having to log in as I am not at home and I only get back home every couple of weeks.
I want to avoid passing on my password to the Mrs in case she or the boys starts messing about with any settings and making things worse.
Is it possible to somehow allow F@H run within my wife's XP login?

(I am still running F@H on my laptop when I am away from home so all is not lost!)

Any help would be appreciated as I am going home again on 21st Dec so I can put any suggested assistance into operation then.

Cheers

Edz
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

If you use the standard console client, you can choose yes when asked to start is as a service.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
PeterA
Hardware configuration: PC: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+, 1024 MB RAM, Microsoft Windows XP (Home Edition) SP3
Laptop: Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3500+, 896 MB RAM, Microsoft Windows Vista (Home Premium)

Post by PeterA »

My Vista laptop is running is running the console version, and after MS does it's month update, its reboots. It will sit there at the log in screen until I get around and check it. Meanwhile, I'll monitor f@h from my desktop (using FahMon) and not notice that it has rebooted because f@h is running along smoothly. :D My desktop is running the graphical version, and that is OK with me. (I like the looks of that gear in the tray. :lol: )