Manual installation of FAHControl from GitHub on Linux

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

rafaug

Manual installation of FAHControl from GitHub on Linux

Post by rafaug »

After failing to install the pre-made .deb files on Ubuntu MATE 17.04 (Zesty, dev branch), which Nvidia Pascal users (like me) need due to driver support in kernel version 4.9+, I searched this forum for instructions on how to address the Python 2 incompatible dependency issue, and I did not find any instruction related to manually performing git clone from the FAHControl repository on GitHub, at https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-control, in which the latest commit for file stdeb.cfg has the description "Attempt to fix install on Ubuntu 16.04", by changing the deb package configuration to include a newer Python support package.

Has anyone had success in installing and running FAHControl through this method? If not, would it be a good solution for me to git clone the repo and change the relevant .cfg file myself to address whatever package the Ubuntu package installer complains about? Or would an actual thorough port, by the developers, to Python 3 be required (not in the long term, but just for a workaround)?
Computer specifications:
Intel Core i7-6700HQ, 16 GB DDR4 RAM @ 2133 MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 (laptop)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit (version 1607), Ubuntu MATE 17.04, Folding@home 7.4.4
ComputerGenie

Re: Manual installation of FAHControl from GitHub on Linux

Post by ComputerGenie »

Isn't that still an Alpha pre-release?
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

For python compatibility you need this package.
wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/109052632 ... 15_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i python-support_1.0.15_all.deb
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

The following may be easier to copy and paste in a terminal since just copying and pasting the above wget command line won't get you what you need:

Code: Select all

wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/109052632/python-support_1.0.15_all.deb
After running the above two commands you should have no trouble installing FAHControl.
rafaug

Post by rafaug »

Thank you all for the solutions presented. These solve the problem, but I had probably already seen those elsewhere on the forum through search.

The question of this thread still stands: would there be any improvement or difference in installing that particular version on FAHControl (from GitHub)? For those of you who tested this specific avenue of making it work (manual git clone and copy), does it work at all, or should I not even bother trying due to some incompatibility or need to port/update code?
Computer specifications:
Intel Core i7-6700HQ, 16 GB DDR4 RAM @ 2133 MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 (laptop)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit (version 1607), Ubuntu MATE 17.04, Folding@home 7.4.4
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Adding the Python support work around linked above is the safe and recommended solution. As such, I doubt anyone has even tried the alpha version, but you are welcomed to be one of the first, if you like. Alphas are typically rough in FAH, may fix one issue, cause 2 more. Caveat Folder.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
hrsetrdr

Post by hrsetrdr »

foldy wrote:For python compatibility you need this package.
wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/109052632 ... 15_all.deb
Googling-for-answers brought me to this thread.

V7 client folding as it should, thanks! :)
Folding rig:Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD | (2) Xeon E5-2670 | 128GB DDR3 ECC Registered

Install Folding@Home on Linux without Python dependancy issues