Random computer freezes during folding

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

shoebag

Random computer freezes during folding

Post by shoebag »

I have continually had this problem where my computer will end up stuck hanging after I go to sleep folding on my computer. I wake up and my HDD light isn't blinking and my whole system hangs. Sometimes the HDD light is even blinking, but all I can access is folding on my computer, everything else is frozen and my computer isn't actually folding. This seems to have begun as soon as I have put a new CPU cooler in my system. I have tried DDU and reinstalling my drivers, and that worked, but only for one night. The next night it was back to the same frozen computer when I woke up in the morning. This problem only seems to occur when I've been away from my computer for quite a while, I'd say about 2 or 3 hours, because when I'm actively checking on my computer or using it while folding, I've never encountered this problem. I'd really love to contribute to this cause, so if anyone could point me in the right direction to fixing this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
AMD FX-8350
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. 990FXA-UD5
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW Edition

EDIT: Right after I wrote this post, I was using my computer and folding at the same time and it just froze up on me. I had only been folding for maybe 30 minutes. I'm not sure what causes it now, but I'm reinstalling my graphics drivers once again without DDU in hopes to help this problem.
Last edited by shoebag on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveWillis
Hardware configuration: PC 1:
Linux Mint 17.3
three gtx 1080 GPUs One on a powered header
Motherboard = [MB-AM3-AS-SB-990FXR2] qty 1 Asus Sabertooth 990FX(+59.99)
CPU = [CPU-AM3-FX-8320BR] qty 1 AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.5GHz(+41.99)

PC2:
Linux Mint 18
Open air case
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
three gtx 1080,
one gtx 1080 TI on a powered header

Re: Computer freezes after folding for ~3+ hours

Post by SteveWillis »

are you monitoring your cpu temperature? It could be overheating. Since you just installed a cpu cooler maybe it isn't installed just right. Back in the day I toasted a cpu that way.Did you use a good thermal compound?

1080 and 1080TI GPUs on Linux Mint
shoebag

Re: Computer freezes after folding for ~3+ hours

Post by shoebag »

SteveWillis wrote:are you monitoring your cpu temperature? It could be overheating. Since you just installed a cpu cooler maybe it isn't installed just right. Back in the day I toasted a cpu that way.Did you use a good thermal compound?
Yes, I am monitoring my CPU temperature. Nothing out of the ordinary, before I installed the new cooler it was at 80c, which was a problem, so I got a new one and now it runs around 45c while folding. Doesn't seem to be a problem at the time, but I will keep an eye on it. The CPU Cooler I ordered was the Hyper 212 EVO, it seems to be working well, the thermal compound I used was from the little tube I got from the box, some gray stuff, cooler master brand. I also may have some Arctic Silver lying around somewhere if this is a huge problem. Is the cooler master stuff okay do you think?

EDIT: My computer just froze again after successfully folding for about 90 minutes, but this time I couldn't interact with FAHControl like I usually can. CPU temp was normal at the time of crash, 44c.
SteveWillis
Hardware configuration: PC 1:
Linux Mint 17.3
three gtx 1080 GPUs One on a powered header
Motherboard = [MB-AM3-AS-SB-990FXR2] qty 1 Asus Sabertooth 990FX(+59.99)
CPU = [CPU-AM3-FX-8320BR] qty 1 AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.5GHz(+41.99)

PC2:
Linux Mint 18
Open air case
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
three gtx 1080,
one gtx 1080 TI on a powered header

Re: Random computer freezes during folding

Post by SteveWillis »

Well that sounds OK. I don't guess I'm going to be much help. I'm folding on a Linux box and knew I'd had problems from high CPU temps or too much overclocking. Have you run a test on memory? Flaky memory can give intermittent problems but I imagine that would give you the dreaded BSOD. Since I have nothing else to add I'll shut up and observe.

1080 and 1080TI GPUs on Linux Mint
shoebag

Post by shoebag »

SteveWillis wrote:Well that sounds OK. I don't guess I'm going to be much help. I'm folding on a Linux box and knew I'd had problems from high CPU temps or too much overclocking. Have you run a test on memory? Flaky memory can give intermittent problems but I imagine that would give you the dreaded BSOD. Since I have nothing else to add I'll shut up and observe.
I'll have to test my memory but I have just noted that turning off my CPU slot doesn't help the matter, my computer still freezes when just on GPU, if that helps anything.
bruce

Post by bruce »

If you set the GPU slot to FINISH, does it still freeze? Like Steve, I see nothing obvious that would associate it with FAH -- except maybe heat, and you seem to have that covered

I do like the idea of memory testing..
Sven

Post by Sven »

Can you for testing disable every powersaving options in the Control panel.

So no Display oder PC Sleep mode under "Power Options"?

Another question would be the power supply. Can you make a photo of the specs label of it? Maybe it doesn't like the gpu going off/on at the end of a workunit.
shoebag

Post by shoebag »

bruce wrote:If you set the GPU slot to FINISH, does it still freeze? Like Steve, I see nothing obvious that would associate it with FAH -- except maybe heat, and you seem to have that covered

I do like the idea of memory testing..
When I set the GPU to finish, it does not seem to freeze. I used Memtest86+ overnight and didn't find any problems. I once again used DDU, this time deleting C:\NVIDIA and cleaning my registry of NVIDIA stuff, and it seems to be holding up right now. It has worked through the night without crashing. The only problem is it has seemed to have only produced about 24,000 points overnight, which I used to average at least 600k overnight, but I'm just hoping that will fix itself.
Sven wrote:Can you for testing disable every powersaving options in the Control panel.

So no Display oder PC Sleep mode under "Power Options"?

Another question would be the power supply. Can you make a photo of the specs label of it? Maybe it doesn't like the gpu going off/on at the end of a workunit.
If my computer starts freezing again, then I will try turning off everything in the power options. Currently everything is off except for the display turning off after 15 minutes, and I am in high performance mode. I similarly do suspect the power supply too, and I will be getting a new one when I get paid next. I currently have a Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt.
bruce

Post by bruce »

shoebag wrote:It has worked through the night without crashing. The only problem is it has seemed to have only produced about 24,000 points overnight, which I used to average at least 600k overnight, but I'm just hoping that will fix itself.
If you changed either the passkey or your folding name, that would explain it and it'll resolve itself after 10 WUs. I would certainly make sure they didn't change.
shoebag

Post by shoebag »

bruce wrote:
shoebag wrote:It has worked through the night without crashing. The only problem is it has seemed to have only produced about 24,000 points overnight, which I used to average at least 600k overnight, but I'm just hoping that will fix itself.
If you changed either the passkey or your folding name, that would explain it and it'll resolve itself after 10 WUs. I would certainly make sure they didn't change.
Yes, I have changed my passkey and my folding name so that explains it. I have been successfully folding for a few days now and have completed 37 WUs without any problems. I forgot to initially mention that I also reinstalled FAH to my C:\ drive when I did everything else in my previous post. I'm not sure particularly what fixed it, but my only problem now is that the FAHControl icon that is usually in my tray has disappeared, but I am still able to fold and open FAHControl manually when I need to.