of NAT and FAH

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

FAMAS

of NAT and FAH

Post by FAMAS »

multiple devices under router NAT or in national case, entire state under nationwide NAT such as the one i am from, do NAT devices all get unique work units or do duplication occur?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: of NAT and FAH

Post by Joe_H »

When first set up and after contacting the folding servers, the client is assigned an unique machine ID by the Folding@home servers. NAT has been recognized as an issue since the first days of the project. So, unless an installation of the client is duplicated after being installed on one system and copied to another, each machine is recognized as being different and duplicate assignments should not occur.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

I'm behind a NAT/firewall setup and no issue since years ; always used 7.x.x software versions. With multiple systems at times.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
FAMAS

Post by FAMAS »

Joe_H wrote:When first set up and after contacting the folding servers, the client is assigned an unique machine ID by the Folding@home servers. NAT has been recognized as an issue since the first days of the project. So, unless an installation of the client is duplicated after being installed on one system and copied to another, each machine is recognized as being different and duplicate assignments should not occur.
write full details of how the machine ID are generated and assigned. how do they detect if a machine ID is set or not (uninstallation of folding@home or long term inactivity so on)
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

The details are as I have already posted. After installation the client connects to the PG servers, if a machine ID is not configured one is assigned. It is passed as part of every download request for WU's and is included as part of the upload of a completed WU. Without an ID set, WU's will not be assigned.

A complete uninstall will remove the ID along with every other setting. A reinstall after that will get a new machine ID. As for how the machine ID's are generated, that probably is part of the proprietary code used by PG in the client software ad on their servers.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3