Windows or Linux?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ChristianVirtual

Re: Windows or Linux?

Post by ChristianVirtual »

ComputerGenie wrote:
ChristianVirtual wrote:the one with the topology you can ignore. In the current version of Core 21 is some bug with prevent the usage of viewer (some atoms in the topology are wrong coded; roughly)...
Obviously I don't know any of the code-behind, but I'm not 100% convinced it's the Core that's the issue as it works fine in Debian/Xfce (Ive had viewer up and running, as well as 3 separate views from 3 separate cards on the screensaver). In my experience, the issue seems to be isolated to Windows.
Was not precise enough: Core and Project/WU are main components for the topology error. But still: except it spam your logfile you don't need to worry. I get them on Linux too.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
hiigaran

Post by hiigaran »

Okay, second system is online. No complications with this one, thankfully.

EDIT: So now that both systems work, I have additional questions:

1: How do I ensure that the fan speed settings set in X Server are applied on each startup?

2: Following the instructions here, driver 370 was installed. There are much newer versions though. What is the latest stable version for folding?
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

I'm starting those per script manually ... because I don't restart X when the system reboot. I boot in text mode only to allow easier driver upgrades via .run file method. And it happen around once every 4 to 8 weeks that I get a reboot on my main box with two GPU. Therefore I never spend time to find the right place for that script.

Problem: you need to run those setting as root or via sudo; which makes it a bit sensitive for me to automatic start that script as well.

Latest driver: 378.13
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
FldngForGrandparents

Post by FldngForGrandparents »

ChristianVirtual wrote:I'm starting those per script manually ... because I don't restart X when the system reboot. I boot in text mode only to allow easier driver upgrades via .run file method. And it happen around once every 4 to 8 weeks that I get a reboot on my main box with two GPU. Therefore I never spend time to find the right place for that script.

Problem: you need to run those setting as root or via sudo; which makes it a bit sensitive for me to automatic start that script as well.

Latest driver: 378.13
Actually that isn't true. I have my script run under the Startup Applications in Gnome as myself. I use the following script for my 980's and 1070. To run the nvidia-smi command you do need sudo but not for the nvidia-settings command. You can set a user that can sudo without a password easily enough that can run the script if that is needed.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
#
# Startup script to set Nvidia fan, power, memory settings

# Set max power limit on GTX 1070 to 170 watts
#nvidia-smi -i 0 -pm 0
#nvidia-smi -i 0 -pl 170

# 1070
nvidia-settings -a [gpu:1]/GPUPowerMizerMode=1
nvidia-settings -a [gpu:1]/GPUFanControlState=1
nvidia-settings -a [fan:1]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=90
nvidia-settings -a [gpu:1]/GPUGraphicsClockOffset[3]=200
#nvidia-settings -a [gpu:1]/GPUMemoryTransferRateOffset[3]=1500

# 980
nvidia-settings -a [gpu:2]/GPUPowerMizerMode=1
nvidia-settings -a [gpu:2]/GPUFanControlState=1
nvidia-settings -a [fan:2]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=90
nvidia-settings -a [gpu:2]/GPUGraphicsClockOffset[3]=180
#nvidia-settings -a [gpu:2]/GPUMemoryTransferRateOffset[3]=400

# 980Ti
nvidia-settings -a [gpu:3]/GPUPowerMizerMode=1
nvidia-settings -a [gpu:3]/GPUFanControlState=1
nvidia-settings -a [fan:3]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=75
nvidia-settings -a [gpu:3]/GPUGraphicsClockOffset[3]=30

# 980
nvidia-settings -a [gpu:4]/GPUPowerMizerMode=1
nvidia-settings -a [gpu:4]/GPUFanControlState=1
nvidia-settings -a [fan:4]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=90
nvidia-settings -a [gpu:4]/GPUGraphicsClockOffset[3]=200
#nvidia-settings -a [gpu:4]/GPUMemoryTransferRateOffset[3]=400

Dedicated to my grandparents who have passed away from Alzheimer's

Dedicated folding rig on Linux Mint 19.1:
2 - GTX 980 OC +200
1 - GTX 980 Ti OC +20
4 - GTX 1070 FE OC +200
3 - GTX 1080 OC +140
1 - GTX 1080Ti OC +120
hiigaran

Post by hiigaran »

If I wanted to simply set the fan speed and nothing else, would it be sufficient to do the following:

nvidia-settings -a [fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=100
nvidia-settings -a [fan:1]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=100
nvidia-settings -a [fan:2]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=100
nvidia-settings -a [fan:3]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=100
Or are the Mizer and FanControl lines necessary prerequisites for TargetFan to function?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

And with Windows, you could have been up and folding by now.

Linux is the current winner if raw performance is your only criteria, but not by a lot. Easier install, monitoring, and ease of troubleshooting might also be considerations, and those all favor Windows.

Run whatever works best for you. There is no wrong answer.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
FldngForGrandparents

hiigaran wrote:If I wanted to simply set the fan speed and nothing else, would it be sufficient to do the following:

nvidia-settings -a [fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=100
nvidia-settings -a [fan:1]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=100
nvidia-settings -a [fan:2]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=100
nvidia-settings -a [fan:3]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=100
Or are the Mizer and FanControl lines necessary prerequisites for TargetFan to function?
You need to set the control fan state as well:

nvidia-settings -a [gpu:1]/GPUFanControlState=1

2 - GTX 980 OC +200
1 - GTX 980 Ti OC +20
4 - GTX 1070 FE OC +200
3 - GTX 1080 OC +140
1 - GTX 1080Ti OC +120
hiigaran

Post by hiigaran »

Okay, so ControlState must be set before FanSpeed. Now if I create a script to do that, what is the file format supposed to be? The Windows equivalent would be a .bat file, so I'm going to guess Linux has its own.

Once that file is made, where would I need to put it to have it run automatically on every startup?
bruce

Post by bruce »

I run both Windows and Linux. My general assessment agrees with everything that has already been said ... including the fact that the choice is yours. (I've been AFK for a couple of weeks or I would have piped up earlier.)
hiigaran wrote:-How are errors handled? For example, fahcore crashes in Windows happen frequently enough to be a mild annoyance, mostly due to the fact that the crashed slot will not start again until the crash message is dismissed. Sometimes it won't start at all until after a restart of the system.
For the most part, FAH errors are identical so there's no guarantee that switching to Linux will fix whatever errors/crashes you're talking about. If you have troubles like the one(s) you're describing on either Linux or Windows, I'd recommend you post about that problem and get help from this forum.
hiigaran

Post by hiigaran »

Funnily enough, the switch did help. I've not received a single crash message since, nor have I experienced the PCI-e uncorrectible hardware error BSOD for one of my GPUs (or rather, the Linux equivalent).

Changing the OS has resulted in shooting me into 35th place by PPD in the project. Should get me in the top 25 once Extreme Overclocking's average stabilises.
FldngForGrandparents

hiigaran wrote:Okay, so ControlState must be set before FanSpeed. Now if I create a script to do that, what is the file format supposed to be? The Windows equivalent would be a .bat file, so I'm going to guess Linux has its own.

Once that file is made, where would I need to put it to have it run automatically on every startup?
Any file format. Just need to do a: chmod +x <filename>. This makes the file executable. I just have mine in my /home/<username> directory. Then you can go into the GUI under settings and startup applications. Here is a youtube video to help out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiOmqIOXwSU

For the command supply the full path. /home/<username>/filename

2 - GTX 980 OC +200
1 - GTX 980 Ti OC +20
4 - GTX 1070 FE OC +200
3 - GTX 1080 OC +140
1 - GTX 1080Ti OC +120
hiigaran

Post by hiigaran »