Netflix and GPU folding=lagging

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

beer

Netflix and GPU folding=lagging

Post by beer »

Hi

I am running Debian 9 with Firefox to watch Netflix, but every time I watch a movie while GPU folding then it becomes lagy. Is there any other option than to pause GPU folding when watching Netflix?
ChristianVirtual

Re: Netflix and GPU folding=lagging

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Not sure; but other recent posting a suggestion was to try to switch rendering/decoding to CPU and don't use the GPU. I just wouldn't know where those setting would be.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Netflix uses web browser html5 video.

This thread tells how to enable Firefox GPU hw acceleration, so use it to set the options to disable.
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=225420
ComputerGenie

Post by ComputerGenie »

At the risk of sounding like an ass, how is this not obvious? Using massive amounts of your GPU makes watching HD videos laggy, and it should.
Ricky
Hardware configuration: 1. 2 each E5-2630 V3 processors, 64 GB RAM, GTX980SC GPU, and GTX980 GPU running on windows 8.1 operating system.
2. I7-6950X V3 processor, 32 GB RAM, 1 GTX980tiFTW, and 2 each GTX1080FTW GPUs running on windows 8.1 operating system.

Post by Ricky »

In advanced options of Firefox, un-click 'Use hardware acceleration when available'. This fixed the problem for me a long time ago.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

ComputerGenie wrote:At the risk of sounding like an ass, how is this not obvious? Using massive amounts of your GPU makes watching HD videos laggy, and it should.
But it is not so obvious that you can switch your web browser or video player from default GPU hw acceleration to CPU and how to. :egeek:
bruce

Post by bruce »

Nor is it obvious to everybody that your CPU can do a more than adequate job of rendering videos (or updating what you see on your screen like is happening right now as I type). Moreover, the CPU manages the priority for rendering MUCH more effectively that the GPU, so "hardware acceleration" falsely implies that it will be faster --- based on the false assumption that the GPU is "always idle."
:eugeek: :!:
beer

Post by beer »

I tried to switch of the hardware acceleration in Firefox but it did not help. Then I tried to install Google's Chrome and that solved the problem (without disableing anything)