how many points per day is considered good?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

altcoinlover

how many points per day is considered good?

Post by altcoinlover »

I am not sure about what optimization on my computer could be make
in order to maximize the number of PPD earned.

For examcple, starting yesterday, in 12 hours, I got just over 4000.

Is it good for a beginner or not? I understood that after 10 works
it should increase.

I need to stick on light power or my processor is at 100% all the time
which is not good for my main working tool (I work online days lon).
Even at light, the processor is always over 80% because I have other crypto
related projects running as well.

Are there some recommandations you could make to optimize?

thanks in advance
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: how many points per day is considered good?

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

How many points you make a day, PPD, is going to depend on the resources you provide to the folding client. To maximize points you would need to just be running the folding client, running other processes continuously will interfere with folding under some circumstances.

At the Light setting half of your CPU cores are being used by folding with a CPU folding core. The most points are returned by folding on a GPU, that requires its own CPU core for processing data going to and being returned from the GPU.

As for points earned, that depends on how many WU's have been returned and if you have used a passkey. The Quick Return Bonus starts after 10 WU's have been returned, but the client does not have any way of knowing when the passkey and username pair has been qualified for the bonus. So the points it reports assume the bonus is in effect if a passkey is present.

QRB does not apply to WU's processed using the NaCl client for Chrome.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
altcoinlover

Post by altcoinlover »

I appreciate your answer.

Nevertheless it does not help me at all guessing if I get good participation and contribution or not.

Sure enough, stopping running stuffs is not an option....

I make a living online, and I have one 1 computer at this time.... and I have other crypto projects
which are strongly rewarding to let them run....

So, is 8000 PPD is "good or "bad? Is it worth having my processor always at 80-90% used.
For your info, FAH client is using 70% of the processor capacity.

I know that it will change after 10 works. I am at 4 or 5 now....

Thanks for your guidance (please, give informational values to compare) and info to see if I am getting enough fom my contribution
or should I forget about it
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Questions about return on your points is best aimed at the providers of those returns. The alt-coins are not officially connected with the folding project at this time, they have their own support sites.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Alt, we do not know anything about your PC, so it is hard to guess good and bad.
My oldest Core Duo gets about 1100 PPD, my least old i5 gets about 11,000. Neither is doing anything else, and both slower and faster CPUs exist. All 50 of my old CPUs are between those two.

I am currently run just one GPU, a new GTX 1050 ti low profile card that gets about 145,000 PPD, about 1/2 my total PPDs. (The i3 in that PC went from 4500 to 2500 PPD, as the GPU uses some of my CPU time)

These links would show you how to post a log with info about your PC: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

The main thrust of your question MAY BE how the value of the crypto-coins earned by old of the sites that provides them compares to some other cryptocoin site. If so, the simple answer is we can't answer that question. As was said above, this site supports the FAH software and the medical research described on the homepage at http://folding.stanford.edu/. We believe that the scientific research is important whether or not you earn cryptocoins. The bottom line is whether your consider the sum-total of good research plus the coins to be of more value than the coins from some other project. (The cryptography solutions you're probably currently running don't produce the same scientific value as the scientific results produced by Stanford University's research.)

I encourage you to learn about the research and understand its scientific value. You said that FAH client is using 70% of the processor capacity, meaning 30% is going to something else -- and that's not really an ideal allocation.

To maximizing what your hardware is producing, you should allocate some number of your CPUs to your other crypto projects and the remainder to FAH. When your operating system is forced to share resources between projects, they do need to be divided into whole numbers of CPUs. To help you with that, we need the information requested above. You did say that FAH was using 70% of your CPU resources, so that means 30% is going to something else ... and a 70/30 split doesn't work out as integer CPU totals.
altcoinlover

Post by altcoinlover »

Thanks for your answers, later I will provide you info from my computer.

You are pointing out about the value of researches and the benefit.

Let me just shared quickly my background.....

I am a former scientist in molecular biology.... I have a PhD is biotechnology,
molecular genetic....
So, I know pretty well what is folding, the benefits of scientifi research
and about the teams in Standford.

I just resigned 9 years ago to change life and become a home entrepreneur
working online. For the last 2 years I am fully engaged in Cryptocurrencies.

I seems to understand that FLDC coin is not really connected to the FAH project...
I find it weird.... really.

A new question is: WHAT DO WE DO with those points.

I gave 15 years of my life to research in biology, research on cancer, public health....
I am ok to provide resources to researches if I get in exchange sone FLDC, or other coins.

But if the points we are getting are not giving anything in exchange... what's the heck is it worth it?

this should be a win-win as in other project....

For example, I am getting rewards through staking because I leave my wallets opened to help some networks
to confirm transactions... so I get rewards from my participation.

For me, with FAH it should be the same... I participate through giving access to my computer ressources.
So, I should get rewarded for this participation.

Just explain to me how we benefit, and how are converted the points in something of value?
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

folding@home gives points for the folding work done per day in PPD. But that is only to compare to other donors or different hardware. Stanford university does not pay you for folding.

Now there are the 3rd party projects like curecoin and foldingcoin which give you some coins depending on your PPD.
They get money donated to pay folders for their effort.

CPUs can do 1k PPD to 100k PPD, GPUs can do 10k PPD to 1000k PPD.
If you are interested in folding for dollar you should get some fast GPU(s), here is a comparison chart
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=29322

With a modern GPU and low electricity prices you can earn some dollars per day, here is a profit calculator
https://www.reddit.com/r/gpumining/comm ... _curecoin/

If you are interested in the coins for folding check out these forums
https://www.reddit.com/r/curecoin/
https://www.reddit.com/r/FoldingCoin/
jrweiss
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; 32GB G-Skill Trident DDR4-3200; Samsung 860EVO 1TB Boot SSD; VelociRaptor 1TB; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver; BeQuiet FM 550 PSU; Lian Li PC-9F; Win11Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

[Suspended] Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI X570MPG, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600; Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIe Gen4 Boot, Samsung 840EVO-250 SSDs; VelociRaptor 1TB, Raptor 150; MSI GTX 1050ti, 526.98 driver; Kingwin Stryker 500 PSU; Lian Li PC-K7B. Win10Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

Post by jrweiss »

PPD varies day to day. I Fold on 2 "low power" computers - an i7-4770X with an RX460 GPU, and an i7-3770S with HD7750 GPU. I average around 120K PPD total.

High-power GPUs will reap the most PPD.

F@H points are only allocated as a competitive incentive for volunteer Folders; they have no inherent value. The incentives provided by CureCoin and similar are an evolution of incentives provided by some Gfx card mfgrs and other private groups in the past.
Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver
Ryzen 7 3700X; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver [Suspended]
QuintLeo

Post by QuintLeo »

For reference, as a participant in the Curecoin and FoldingCoin projects - as of the last couple of months the combination of the 2 on a GTX 1070 or higher is fairly close in compensation value to the value you could achieve with the same GPU by cryptocoin mining with it on the highest mining options available (generally the Skein based DGB or the groetsl-based DGB, occasionally ZEC).

This is highly dependent on how much you can get for your earned Curecoin and Foldingcoin though - if you had sold into the "lows" for each over the last 2 months you would have earned quite a bit less as opposed to mining ZEC and selling every day into it's lows - if you managed to hold on to your Curecoin and Foldingcoin for up to a month and sold into the high point of that month you might have earned a LITTLE more.

DO keep in mind though that Curecoin, Foldingcoin, EVGA Bucks, and any other project that rewards F@H participants for their participation are not associated with Stanford or the actual F@H project itself, they just "piggyback" on it to offer folks that DO participate and are willing to live up to the terms of participating in the "rewards" programs some form of reward - Stanford does not support the "reward" efforts in any way nor is there any requirement that they do so.

Stanford DOES benefit from those reward programs, in the form of folks like me that use those rewards to buy MORE gear to fold with (or point their gear at Folding BECAUSE of the reward options) and the actual folding done by us - but they benefit more from the efforts of the unpaid volunteers that fold (and that seems likely to remain the case for at least another year, perhaps 2) - but they have no obligation to us, we voluntarily CHOSE to participate in Folding and the rewards programs for whatever mix of reasons (in my case, my Sister and my favorite cousin are both cancer survivors).

On the record - I did some folding before I knew any of the "reward" programs existed, but I've been a lot more active in the Distributed Net project (I hit my 20 YEARS of participation mark there in a few months), and was active on the GIMPS prime search for some years as well.
austinlover

Post by austinlover »

I am trying to figure out how fast gpu's are relative to my cpu. I know gpus get far more bonus points because they are so much faster at completing WU's. Can someone with a fast gpu like a 2080Ti or 1080Ti tell me what their ratio of expected credit to base credit is for a typical WU? It is my understanding that the number of base points or credit one gets per day is a better measure of the relative speed of a cpu or gpu. I have a relatively slow gpu, a radeon hd 5850, and my estimated credit for most wu's is only 3 times that of the base credit. For a threadripper cpu that gets 600,000 ppd it gets an estimated credit that is 12 times its base credit for most WU's
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Firstly a HD 5850 can fold successfully, it is 11 years old and so not fast, but it should get work, and may complete it before the deadline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... 000_series

To qualify, a GPU must be able to do Double Precision calculations, and yours does.

The Quick Return Bonus favors GPUs that can do work quickly, so the points climb faster than the work done. My GTX 1060 gets 450k PPD, while my GTX 1050ti only gets 150k PPD and is half as powerful.

Modern top end GPUs are getting over 2.5M PPD,, but that is not my budget!
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
austinlover

Post by austinlover »

What is the ratio of the expected credit to the base credit for your GTX 1060 and GTX 1050Ti?
Shirty

Post by Shirty »

I can give you some hard data on some of the WUs I'm currently running if it helps:

Code: Select all

Card				 Project 	 Base Score  Expected Score
=======================================================
Titan X Pascal	P11738		29,389		200,644
RTX 2070 Super	P11739		11,110		108,222
RTX 2070			P11741		15,396		127,111
RTX 2070 Super	P11741		15,396		138,144
RTX 2070 Super	P11741		15,396		141,305
RTX 2060			P11742		9,405		 83,756
GTX 1080Ti	 	P11742		9,405		 93,295
RTX 2070 Super	P11743		9,405		 96,955
austinlover

Post by austinlover »

Thanks. What is your typical ppd for the 1080TI?