What do we do with our points?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

altcoinlover

What do we do with our points?

Post by altcoinlover »

ok, I think to have a misunderstanding about the link between FAH and the FLDC coin
which has driven me to FAH....

So, I am earning points, and so WHAT ???

What will I do with those points?

What are there value?

Supporting research for just surpporting and not getting any reward from sharing
my computer (which is my main daily work tool as I am an online entrepreneur)
is worthless.
I gave 15 years to science because I am a former scientist in Biology....
That was a way here to provide some support online... but certainly not for free ;-)

hope you will enlight me by your info to help me understand
rwh202
Hardware configuration: 8x GTX 1080
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060
Various other bits and pieces

Re: What do we do with our points?

Post by rwh202 »

Points have no value. They are just there to promote inter- and intra-team competition and bragging rights, thereby increasing total science done. They are a measure of contribution and a badge of honour within the distributed computing community (but just as meaningful and financially valuable as your highest tetris score in the real world though).

Traditionally, people running FAH are pure volunteers, altruistically helping others, but a few teams used to offer prizes / rewards based on points. However, those pale into insignificance compared with the rewards from FLDC / CURE. They will hopefully bring more power to FAH than the pure volunteer approach did, yet many will still choose to volunteer and not partake in the altcoin aspect.
SteveWillis
Hardware configuration: PC 1:
Linux Mint 17.3
three gtx 1080 GPUs One on a powered header
Motherboard = [MB-AM3-AS-SB-990FXR2] qty 1 Asus Sabertooth 990FX(+59.99)
CPU = [CPU-AM3-FX-8320BR] qty 1 AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.5GHz(+41.99)

PC2:
Linux Mint 18
Open air case
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
three gtx 1080,
one gtx 1080 TI on a powered header

Post by SteveWillis »

I don't want to get in trouble with the mods for discussing it here. They will just lock the topic anyway. Go to foldingcoin.net and curecoin.net for information about the great folding incentives. Granted I haven't broken even from my hardware purchases I did cash last month's earnings for over $1000.00 after accounting for electricity used.

1080 and 1080TI GPUs on Linux Mint
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

For the science it is still more cheap if money is given to the the distributed folders than to pay for a cloud or supercomputer.
PS3EdOlkkola
Hardware configuration: 10 SMP folding slots on Intel Phi "Knights Landing" system, configured as 24 CPUs/slot
9 AMD GPU folding slots
31 Nvidia GPU folding slots
50 total folding slots
Average PPD/slot = 459,500

Post by PS3EdOlkkola »

I donate 100% of my CureCoin earnings to several charities, which the CureCoin administrators are kind enough to manage for me. It's starting to be a meaningful number - I think it was several hundred $ last quarter.
Hardware config viewtopic.php?f=66&t=17997&p=277235#p277235
Aurum

Post by Aurum »

I trade my CURE & FLDC for BTC and buy more gear at NewEgg :D
In Science We Trust Image
altcoinlover

Post by altcoinlover »

thanks for yur answer....

I will not comment on the altruism aspect and giving to the science ;-)
I will keep it for myself.
Second, the answer is wrong... the points are giving something
and have a value as they are converted monthly in FLDC coins.

Why to not simply tell it ? This is awesome.
Cryptocurrency is the future of money...

So, better to be involved while helping science
that just bying the coins on exchange.

Glad some comments pointed to what is the value is and
why people should get involved.....

TO GET REWARDED in a cryptocurrency, and then start to hold and
become familiar with cryptocurrency.

People will not participate if they are not entice to do it in an
innovative way...

It seems that admins here don't want people to connect the dots in this forum..
surprising....

At least, FLDC support chat is giving the answers and are making
folding interesting for individuals because YES, each months
your points are converted in coins and you are credited to your wallet.

That was my simple question which apparently admin don't want to give
for some reason ;-)
altcoinlover

Post by altcoinlover »

SteveWillis wrote:I don't want to get in trouble with the mods for discussing it here. They will just lock the topic anyway. Go to foldingcoin.net and curecoin.net for information about the great folding incentives. Granted I haven't broken even from my hardware purchases I did cash last month's earnings for over $1000.00 after accounting for electricity used.
Awesome Steve... Glad for your resuts and the beneficial impact of your contribution
on science but also on yourself and your family
altcoinlover

Post by altcoinlover »

rwh202 wrote:Points have no value. They are just there to promote inter- and intra-team competition and bragging rights, thereby increasing total science done. They are a measure of contribution and a badge of honour within the distributed computing community (but just as meaningful and financially valuable as your highest tetris score in the real world though).

Traditionally, people running FAH are pure volunteers, altruistically helping others, but a few teams used to offer prizes / rewards based on points. However, those pale into insignificance compared with the rewards from FLDC / CURE. They will hopefully bring more power to FAH than the pure volunteer approach did, yet many will still choose to volunteer and not partake in the altcoin aspect.
apparentl you miss volontarelly or not some point....

they are great rewards to participate in FAH....

At least other comments are sharing about it

Surprising to get a total silence on the rewards....

go to FLDC coin site or support forum, and they will tell
that this is really rewarded to fold!
rwh202
Hardware configuration: 8x GTX 1080
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060
Various other bits and pieces

Post by rwh202 »

altcoinlover wrote:
rwh202 wrote:Points have no value. They are just there to promote inter- and intra-team competition and bragging rights, thereby increasing total science done. They are a measure of contribution and a badge of honour within the distributed computing community (but just as meaningful and financially valuable as your highest tetris score in the real world though).

apparentl you miss volontarelly or not some point....

they are great rewards to participate in FAH....

At least other comments are sharing about it

Surprising to get a total silence on the rewards....

go to FLDC coin site or support forum, and they will tell
that this is really rewarded to fold!
Your question was posed about points, not coins, but yes, there are deliberate reasons to not more explicitly mention the coins:

1 - Respect for the mods and the forum here where it is traditionally about the science, less so about the points and even less about the dollars
2 - The more people who fold for coins, the smaller my share!
bruce

Post by bruce »

altcoinlover wrote:I will not comment on the altruism aspect and giving to the science ;-)
I will keep it for myself.

You're entitled to think that CONTRIBUTING to potential cures for serious diseases is worthless and you're entitled to refuse to DONATE because FoldingAtHome is based on altruism, just like people are entitled to believe/not_believe things that are called Fake News.

The grandaddy of all distributed computing projects was SETI@home. Even if you believe that there's extraterrestrial life and even if a fraction of that life is intelligent enough to broadcast a "We are here" message, the chances of us receiving that signal are very, very close to zero -- plus we may not have the ability to interpret that message (see the recent film "Arrival").

[I donated a lot of electricity to Seti@Home before I found F@H.]

The computations required to mine cyber currency are challenging, but the hashes you produce have very little real value If bitcoin chooses to add your result to the blockchain and give you a few cybercoins, they're going to have trouble selling the hashes you actually computed. The link between the real value of the mathematical results you produced and the coins awarded is a very weak link. Folding@home gives you the opportunity use your electricity to generate important medical results rather than hashes.
People will not participate if they are not entice to do it in an innovative way...
Maybe / maybe not.
It seems that admins here don't want people to connect the dots in this forum..
surprising....

That was my simple question which apparently admin don't want to give
for some reason ;-)
FALSE.

You did get your answer.

This site (foldingforum.org) and the information found at folding.stanford.edu are here to support the SCIENCE and the software that produces it. Ask us questions about setting up the FAH software or about the scientific results, and we're happy to answer them

FLDC / CURE do their own support.

I quote from their site:
What is FoldingCoin?

FoldingCoin is a rewards program that distributes tokens called FLDC to participants of the global Folding@home network
What is Folding@home?

Folding@home is a program developed by Stanford university that uses your computer power to help find cures for diseases
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

our legal systems can change anytime and could make cryptocurrency illegal (when it become bigger and impact real world economics in scale) plus don't forget to pay your income tax once you convert in real currency (check with your tax consultant) ... also keep in mind that the value of both coins highly depend on the hike if bitcoin. If that one swing back the rush is also quick over.
Enjoy the ride.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
Aurum

Post by Aurum »

Graduate student Research Assistants (RA) get paid and professors are very well paid. I think it would be appropriate if some percentage of every grant that would benefit from molecular dynamics calculations performed on F@H be used to purchase CURE & FLDC and retire them.
In Science We Trust Image
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

You CAN be paid to give blood, I choose to donate mine every 8 weeks.
You COULD try to cure cancer for money, I prefer to donate my computer's free time.
If neither the goals nor the methods of Folding@Home interest you, perhaps we will meet again in some other forum.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
SteveWillis
Hardware configuration: PC 1:
Linux Mint 17.3
three gtx 1080 GPUs One on a powered header
Motherboard = [MB-AM3-AS-SB-990FXR2] qty 1 Asus Sabertooth 990FX(+59.99)
CPU = [CPU-AM3-FX-8320BR] qty 1 AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.5GHz(+41.99)

PC2:
Linux Mint 18
Open air case
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
three gtx 1080,
one gtx 1080 TI on a powered header

Post by SteveWillis »

I'm up to about 6 million points per day. I could never have done that without the incentives even though I still haven't broken even and likely won't any time soon. As they say, the proof is in the pudding.

1080 and 1080TI GPUs on Linux Mint