FAH on iphone?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

pneppl

FAH on iphone?

Post by pneppl »

Hello. I was just wondering if FAH would ever have an app on the iphone? My iphone doesn't do much at work other than sit on my desk. Thank you
JimboPalmer

Re: FAH on iphone?

Post by JimboPalmer »

The Android apps was both funded and programmed by Sony. It only works on Android phones that resemble Sony phones.
One would need to find a similar funding/programming source interested in writing for iOS. So far, that is not Apple Inc.
It is not obvious that there would be any other source of cash and programming with deep enough pockets.

But Pande Labs would be happy if some funding source stepped up.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

Aside from the funding question, and the issue of a qualified developer, somewhere you'll find a list of corporate requirements. Sony was pretty strict about security. I expect that Apple will be, too.

Then there are a couple of technical issues that I know about.
1) FAH would run the battery down rather quickly, which is why Sony required (a) a fully charged battery and (b) connected to a charging device capable of supplying whatever power FAH needs when running at ~100% CPU.
2) The heat generated by ~100% CPU might be a problem, too.

These two issues are no different that the ones encountered on laptop computers -- but good laptops have a fan that can keep it from over-heating. A phone doesn't.
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Another issue apple don't allow to reload code from outside the store; so you need to get all code with you when submitting to AppStore. I would also have a small army of iOS devices happy to help. Like my nexus on boinc ...
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
bruce

Post by bruce »

The FAHCores are updated from time-to-time. On the PC, when there's a update ("rare" but certainly not "never") the download happens automatically because the WU that was just downloaded requires the new version. Uploading them to the iphone store every time they're updated is not going to be something FAH will be anxious to support ... plus you'll be forced to go back to the store before you can proceed to fold the WU you just downloaded. (That's what I meant about Apple's corporate stance of security.)

I'm not sure how that's handled with the Sony client. I'm guessing here, but I suspect that the Android client only folds one or two projects. Then, too, the points earned by the Android client are not integrated with the Windows/Linux/MacOS results. You get something akin to Sony's leader-board game points.

Bottom line: You probably shouldn't expect a FAH client for iOS any time soon ... if ever.