How many projects are there queued?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ProDigit

How many projects are there queued?

Post by ProDigit »

How many projects, or how many hours of WUs are there currently queued up?

With the advance of modern hardware, pretty soon my server will join the million PPD club, and other people upgrading their hardware,
Will we ever run out of things to fold?
JimboPalmer

Re: How many projects are there queued?

Post by JimboPalmer »

As more processing power is available, larger proteins can be understood.

I notice that in the last month I am getting a lot of 100,000 point WUs, previously I was getting 60,000 point WUs on my GTX 1015ti, I just assume that as better GPUs com out more and more High complexity WUs will be released until eventually my card will be too wimpy, just like the previous two cards.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

"Wimpy" is a subjective term. Yes, many new projects are more challenging that they were before, but there are also many projects that run fine on older hardware and there are a lot queued up for them, too. Many folks are being spoiled by the allure of more powerful hardware and higher PPDs, but if all you have is an older generation CPU, it can still do useful scientific work, even if other folks are turning off their CPU slots. The real challenge is customizing the Assignment Server code and settings so that EVERYBODY gets assignments consistent with their hardware.

In fact, there are projects that can only be run with specific ranges of CPUs.
ProDigit

Post by ProDigit »

It is true that the bonus points give a false view of how much work actually is being done.
On one work unit, my 1050 got 100k PPD, on another 162k PPD, though overall it runs around 133.
The work done on eg: a RTX 2080 at 2M PPD, isn't double from an RTX 2070 or GTX 1080 at 1M PPDs.

Hardware prices are falling drastically, and I had to think; the 1050 + 1030 in my server, together with on average about 60% CPU load, has beat over 97% of people, including those folding for nearly a decade on older hardware.
One week, and $500 on hardware, can beat $500 on a decade old hardware, and 10 years of folding consuming electricity every day.
It's crazy.