You cant see the work of the GPU

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: You cant see the work of the GPU

Post by bruce »

Earlier versions of the Viewer did work with earlier versions of the FAHCores. The development teams that create new FAHCores, creates updates to FAHClient and develops updates to FAHViewer are different teams. It's not clear where the communications broke down. Somebody made a change in one of them that wasn't incorporated into another. The best we can do is identify the problem, which we have done, and let them sort out why it's not working.

Some of this can be blamed on those of us who did the beta testing. I have to admit that I was interested in whether FAHClient worked with the existing FAHCores and with FAHControl and I never actually tested FAHViewer -- and apparently the other beta testers didn't either.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Forcinghavok wrote:Why would you include a feature that doesn't work? Just curious.
A long time ago in a far away galaxy, it worked ... :roll:

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Forcinghavok

Post by Forcinghavok »

Maybe we should remove the viewer functionality?
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

FAHClient 7.5.1 running GPU FAHCore_22 beta is working with FAHViewer 7.4.4

Don't remove it fix it. Because some users like to see what this "FAH software" is doing or else they get rid of it.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

foldy wrote:FAHClient 7.5.1 running GPU FAHCore_22 beta is working with FAHViewer 7.4.4

Don't remove it fix it. Because some users like to see what this "FAH software" is doing or else they get rid of it.
Question is, what you're going to show them?
Back in the day, CPU folding did only one WU at a time. I remember seeing like less than 10 atoms on my PC flowing around in 2008.
Now it's a cluster with more atoms than grapes in a grape cluster.
And if you're running multiple projects at a time, what project should be showing?
bruce

Post by bruce »

As far as running multiple projects, FAHViewer needs to have the ability to "select slot N" when there are multiple WUs being managed by FAHClient.

As far a displaying complex proteins, step 1 will always be to remove the atoms of the solvent. Step 2 is (if necessary) to re-frame the protein to the center of the viewing box and zoom to an appropriate scale.

(Those two steps work well for the demo protein.)

Over time, as the proteins often have increasing numbers of atoms, MeeLee does have a point. As project become more complex, interpreting what you see is increasingly difficult.
Forcinghavok

Post by Forcinghavok »

Do you know if there are any plans to fix or update the software so that we can view the proteins?
bruce

Post by bruce »

It has been reported as bug. Development works with FAH management to establish priorities from that list. The list is long. Gradually things do get fixed but some things have been there a long, long time. I have no way of knowing the priorities.

Unfortunately the viewer does not contribute to science, only to Donor satisfaction and ... and the priority is always given to doing better science within the budget set for Development.