Running FAH on Google Cloud

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

hellobrush1234

Running FAH on Google Cloud

Post by hellobrush1234 »

Hello Everyone,
I'm new here! :D
I have been running FAH on Google Cloud since yesterday. I have a couple of questions.

1.Will I get banned(On google's servers)? I read somewhere on the forums here that they got banned because Google thought that they were mining.
2. How can I sustain myself? Because I just signed up, I got $300 in credits to use. I still have a lot left( running on a single core cpu). After sometime those credits will get exhausted. I can pay some amount but my parents wouldn't allow me spending a lot of money on this. I can't run it on my laptop because I basically need it everyday for my University studies(and it's also pretty crappy :cry: ).

I really do wish to contribute of FAH but can't without the resources.

Thanks!
JimboPalmer

Re: Running FAH on Google Cloud

Post by JimboPalmer »

Folding@Home rules require you to get permission from the owner of the computer, that prevents being banned
My oldest laptop does 1k PDD while being my daily driver. 2.2 GHz Core Duo.
Do not spend money you don't have
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

We can't really help you.

Unfortunately, from one perspective, Google is right. You are mining and it sounds like maybe you're planning on earning cybercoins by donating resources from Google's computers.

From FAH's perspective, you are making a Donation and you have to use resources that you actually own when you choose to donate to FAH.
hellobrush1234

Post by hellobrush1234 »

bruce wrote:We can't really help you.

Unfortunately, from one perspective, Google is right. You are mining and it sounds like maybe you're planning on earning cybercoins by donating resources from Google's computers.

From FAH's perspective, you are making a Donation and you have to use resources that you actually own when you choose to donate to FAH.
Hmm..Makes sense that I don't own the computer. I'm probably planning on earning some cybercoins like curecoin for the sole purpose of funding my account on Google cloud. But I'm kind of worried that Google may just shut down my VM instance.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

If you want to spend money for running FAH in cloud computing then there is a much cheaper alternative to google or amazon. It is called vast.ai and there you can rent machines with GPUs and for gtx 1080ti you pay $0.10/h to get 1 mill PPD. I tried it myself and FAH works when following these instructions https://www.reddit.com/r/Folding/commen ... es_vastai/
Etherion

Post by Etherion »

Yes vast.ai is a much better alternative for renting.

Create a instance using docker image nvidia/opencl

Ssh in to the system and run this

bash -c 'apt -y update; apt -y install wget; apt -y install libcurl3; apt -y install libjansson4; apt -y install xz-utils; wget https://download.foldingathome.org/rele ... amd64.deb; mkdir fah;dpkg-deb -R fahclient_7.5.1_amd64.deb /root/fah; cd fah/usr/bin/; ./FAHClient --user=youruser--passkey=yourpaskeyuser --team=yourteamnumber'

Make sure to populate your detials and the key/user name pair.
adapt

Post by adapt »

has anyone (trusted) got a vast.ai setup? i'd rather just donate $10 for someone to add to an existing setup - it'd be more than my computers and phones could do in a year - although i've got them running anyway - every little helps, 2 phones on rosetta via boinc, and computers on FAH - not fussed about the points.

Thanks!
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

I have run several vast.ai machines for FAH, setup is easy and you only pay as long as you want to use them.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum adapt,

Here's a detailed set of instructions for vast.ai platform if you're interested: viewtopic.php?p=324550#p324550
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues