Segmentaion fault (core dumped)

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Theodore

Re: Segmentaion fault (core dumped)

Post by Theodore »

I'm wondering if your newer CPU has an IGP with drivers, and if the old one didn't have an IGP?
Could be another possibility.
lleb

Post by lleb »

I would agree with your guess bruce. Sad thing is both computers (laptop & workstation) were installed around the same time from the same media.
lleb

Post by lleb »

Theodore the i7 was a k class so yes, did have the integrated graphics. the new Ryzen does not have the integrated graphics.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Your Intel drivers are likely older than the latest. Updating them (or removing them) and then installing the NVidia drivers directly from nVidia is likely to resolve the issue. I think Intel has fixed some of their issues which caused their drivers to conflict with the drivers that FAH needs -- though I have no way of testing that theory.
lleb

Post by lleb »

The Nvidia drivers have been installed from Nvidia. I am running the 410 drivers downloaded April 19th.
lleb

Post by lleb »

Found the answer.

1. This has nothing to do with my OS of choice contrary to posts above indicating.
2. This had nothing to do with drivers for the Vid card or MB
3. There is zero indication that this is the problem from any notes provided by the F@H team for install, troubleshooting, etc...

Solution was found while dealing with another issue. Solution is for 64bit hardware/OS you must have virtualization enabled in the BIOS. This is not indicated in any documentation for F@H. That is rather important bit of information that should be properly notated.

Found while attempting to install a 64bit VM with VirtualBox. After dealing with multiple unsuccessful installs of different source 64bit ISO files (Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, Win7, CentOS 7) I went a bit deeper into my google foo. After eliminating the obvious issues like not checking Linux/Windows 64bit OS, etc... I found a link that made note that in order to run a 64bit client you must have virtualization enabled in the BIOS. Checked mine and it was in DISABLE state. Changed that and booted my system. Successfully installed the 64bit VM. Cheers all done, so I thought.

24hr later I enter the computer room and the temperature is much higher than it should be. The computer had been idle, so I thought, for the past 24hr. No reason for the room to be so hot. Pulled up htop and my cores are going nuts. Look at the top items maxing out my cores and low and behold it was the foldingathome.org client. Start FAHControl and it is not only online, but running.

Hope this helps others down the line.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

That's strange, because FAH doesn't use any virtualisation feature ... it's even disabled in some of my machines because of Windows 10 incompatibilities with X58 chipsets ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.