Is F@H Safe to Run?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

X-Wing

Is F@H Safe to Run?

Post by X-Wing »

I got a question from a friend about whether or not F@H creates a security risk on host machines. I am wondering how best to answer this question as I don’t have enough knowledge of the precautions taken against compromising the F@H client software, the security if the client-server connection, and the security/integrity of the downloads by the client software. If anyone could shed more light on this than the FAQ page, that’d be great!
Rig: i3-8350K, GTX 1660Ti, GTX 750Ti, 16GB DRR4-3000MHz.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Is F@H Safe to Run?

Post by Joe_H »

One of the FAQ pages has a response on the security issue - https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/miscellaneous/.

Basically the folding client is programmed to only communicate with designated servers, and the WU's are digitally signed. WU's will not be accepted from other servers, and even if someone managed to spoof a connection, the data files would not be accepted if they were not properly signed.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Any scenario where you would not be allowed to browse the internet, you should not Fold. F@H uses the same ports as a browser (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Edge, etc.)
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
X-Wing

Post by X-Wing »

Ok thanks. I looked at the FAQ page and I saw the response, but it helps to have a little explanation. Thanks!
Rig: i3-8350K, GTX 1660Ti, GTX 750Ti, 16GB DRR4-3000MHz.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

I think from the peer perspective, the worst thing that could happen, is if someone can get the data you've received, and deciphers it, and basically can see what will be public information not long after.
The FAH client isn't big enough for hackers to use as malicious tool, to break in, or steal information.
Not sure if it even has those vulnerabilities.
FAHClient does have access to CPU and GPU resources.