Folding for Alzheimers

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

pgsabol

Folding for Alzheimers

Post by pgsabol »

I selected support for researching Alzheimer's. However, not being a scientist, the descriptions of the projects doesn't seem to relate to Alzheimer's. Do the algorithms assign projects based on your research preference, or is that mainly just for show and you fold whatever protein FAH gives you?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Folding for Alzheimers

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

The selection of a disease is just a preference, not a limitation. If there are WU's available to be assigned for your selected preference, then you will get those. Otherwise you will get a random WU assigned if no WU's are available from projects with that disease set.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
king612

Post by king612 »

I keep selecting Alzheimers in the disease dropdown, but this seems to be completely ignored. It gets reset to Any Disease on each new WU. What am I doing wrong? How do you force this selection to stay on the disease you want to support in the configuration?
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

As far as I know, there are currently no Alzheimer's projects.
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

The configuration setting should be saved even if there are no Alzheimer projects at the moment. If you are saving the preference in the Advanced GUI (FAHControl), then you need to remember to click "Save" after changing the preference. The web client should save the preference when you select it.

If you look in your log, and in the config.xml file, there should be a line starting with "<cause v='" which contains Alzheimer.
Can you post the first ~200 lines of your log? viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036

But note again that it is just a preference setting, so it will not match the currently folding WU if there are no Alzheimer projects at the moment when your client asks the assignment servers for work.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
bruce

Post by bruce »