More core 22 to advanced please!

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

MeeLee

More core 22 to advanced please!

Post by MeeLee »

I'm thinking, core 22 works pretty well.
There are plenty of projects that could be considered ready for primetime.

I would not recommend core 22 for regular folding due to the fact that higher end GPUs like the RTX series GPUs are prone to overheating in a normal desktop PC, and high end GPUs (2080 and up) consuming more than 200 Watts hit thermal throttling even on an open test bench.

But advanced doesn't have enough core 22 work available.
It would leave beta-set clients dealing more with real beta stage Wu's, and allow the advanced settings for users who can adapt their systems to suit the higher power and thermal demands of core 22.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: More core 22 to advanced please!

Post by Joe_H »

If you check the Project Summary page, you will find there is a grand total of 3 projects being run on Core_22. Where are all of these projects such that you think "There are plenty of projects that could be considered ready for primetime."

There will be more Core_22 work when the researchers are ready to create projects using it. In the meantime existing projects, and probably any follow on projects for that research, will remain on Core_21. As new research starts, and projects require the new features available in Core_22, more projects will move to it.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

I've said it before and I will say it again, good science trumps folder desires.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32081
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

Then I wonder why it's still in beta stage.
If I enable 'client-type advanced', I seem to get less core 22 work than when I enable 'beta' (or it may just be coincidence?)
Though Rafiowera (or close to, the user who is working on Core 22) recommended not to stay in 'advanced' as these projects will be removed from advanced at some point in time.

I don't think Core 22 is ready for regular users yet, mainly due to overheating issues (they run a lot hotter vs core 21 projects).
But the WUs seem to run fine on RTX GPUs that are sufficiently cooled, and have some sort of power capping capabilities (when the GPUs are over 220Watts on an open bench, or 180-200W on an enclosed system).
Once you surpass 200Watts, there's some sort of feedback loop, where too much hot air from the open (non-blower) type GPU, gets sucked back in the GPU heat sink, causing lower cooling efficiency, causing the GPU to run hotter, which in it's turn causes the air exiting the GPU to be even hotter. This threshold is around 200-220Watts on open benches, where running them below the threshold can result in 60-65C temperatures, but adding as little as 5 watts extra power results in 85C thermal throttling; and is even lower in enclosed systems (est 180-200W with sufficient cooling, and possibly as low as 125watts with cases with low cooling.
Since blower type GPUs run a lot hotter than open type GPUs, I can only estimate that also they are limited to about 160-180Watts, before thermal throttling happens.

I'm not sure if core 22 has a similar effect on AMD GPUs as it has on Nvidia GPUs.

What I'm trying to say is that Core 22 works! It's functional. WUs process fine.
There's currently nothing fundamentally wrong with it, imho.

All we need for core 22 to get out of beta or advanced, is a shift in hardware (sub 7nm GPUs, using less than 200W) not to run into any thermal issues.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

PS: If non-beta testers run core 22 through the advanced or beta flag, does the appropriate person still get the results in for analysis? Or do they rely on beta testers feedback?
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

As posted by Rafal, advanced will remain active : viewtopic.php?p=310615#p310615

But if something goes wrong, you should post your feedback here : viewtopic.php?f=74&t=32073

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
bruce

Post by bruce »

New Projects start when the research is prepared and not before. Early testing of new projects always starts with Beta and runs for as long as deemed necessary. Those who join the beta team provide early feedback from those who are decated to providing that high risk feedback. Once the obvious problems are tested by that small subset of FAH donors, the project is moved to Advanced which provides a wider variety of system configurations with reduced (but non-zero) risk.

The project will be moved to Advanced when enough beta testing has been completed and the error rate is low enough to warrant that move. Please stop asking.

The project owner will move a project to Advanced automatically whenever it's ready. The decision is based entirely on the error statistics. Nobody wants high-risk projects in Advanced. Unfortunately Donors don't have access to those statistics even though the project may be running fine on your sysem(s).