My PPD fluctuates a lot

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

PositiveRaisin2

My PPD fluctuates a lot

Post by PositiveRaisin2 »

Why is this happening? sometimes if a pause and then stant it will go to 1.3 million then later it could go to 400000. Any fixes? I would perfer 1.3 million :D
JimboPalmer

Re: My PPD fluctuates a lot

Post by JimboPalmer »

We know nothing about your rig, or your configuration.

Posting the first 200 lines of your log where it lists the hardware and configuration may help, it can't hurt.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036 explains how to post a log in many OSes you might own.

I never pause F@H myself, so I am no help with what happens if you pause.

Is there any chance your PC is getting too hot? Many CPUs slow down if they get too hot.

If you do not currently have a way to measure temps, I can recommend Speccy. https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

Whenever a new Project is started, FAHClient has no ability to estimate how long it's going to take for your system to complete the current WU. After you complete a few percent of the WU, FAHClient has recorded how much you got done and how long it took you do do it so a rate can be estimated based ib actual measurements.

Further, whenever you Pause, FAH Cannot restart from the point at which you actually stopped, it has to back up to the state at which the computations were checkpointed.

PPD estimates are based on estimated rates of completion. Don't trust any of the numbers until you've been folding at a uniform rate for a long enough duration that your system's speed can be estimated. I'd believe the early morning numbers after FAH has run overnight.
PositiveRaisin2

Post by PositiveRaisin2 »

JimboPalmer wrote:We know nothing about your rig, or your configuration.

Posting the first 200 lines of your log where it lists the hardware and configuration may help, it can't hurt.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036 explains how to post a log in many OSes you might own.

I never pause F@H myself, so I am no help with what happens if you pause.

Is there any chance your PC is getting too hot? Many CPUs slow down if they get too hot.

If you do not currently have a way to measure temps, I can recommend Speccy. https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy
My temps look fine. I have a 4770 and a gtx 1070
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

I bet you have an OS too, but we don't know it, and you have not posted the log both the people willing to help have asked for.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Shirty

Post by Shirty »

The 1070 is a reasonably powerful card, which left 24/7 should see you hovering between 600-700k ppd. However, pausing for any length of time will rapidly erode this score. I'd be very surprised if the card was able to exceed about 750k ppd on any existing public work units.

The CPU points output will be negligible by comparison.

Where you are seeing an estimate of 1.3m that will simply be a case of the client not having enough accurate data to calculate a reliable figure, but please rest assured that you'll need at least a Titan XP or RTX 2070 Super to see that sort of output.