[For server admins] Emails do not arrive due to issue rDNS

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

WebCF

[For server admins] Emails do not arrive due to issue rDNS

Post by WebCF »

Hi,

I just wanted to create a new passkey. But the mail did not arrived. I looked to my PostFix logs and saw:

Code: Select all

Mar 22 21:41:01 s1 postfix/smtpd[18229]: warning: hostname foldingathome.org does not resolve to address 65.254.110.241
Mar 22 21:41:01 s1 postfix/smtpd[18229]: connect from unknown[65.254.110.241]
Mar 22 21:41:02 s1 postfix/smtpd[18229]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[65.254.110.241]: 450 4.7.25 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [65.254.110.241]; from=<noreply@foldingathome.org> to=<kontakt@kluthr.de> proto=ESMTP helo=<foldingathome.org>
Mar 22 21:41:02 s1 postfix/smtpd[18229]: disconnect from unknown[65.254.110.241] ehlo=2 starttls=1 mail=1 rcpt=0/1 data=0/1 rset=1 quit=1 commands=6/8
Mar 22 21:41:04 s1 postfix/smtpd[18229]: [b]warning: hostname foldingathome.org does not resolve to address 65.254.110.241[/b]
Mar 22 21:41:04 s1 postfix/smtpd[18229]: connect from unknown[65.254.110.241]
Mar 22 21:41:05 s1 postfix/smtpd[18229]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[65.254.110.241]: 450 4.7.25 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [65.254.110.241]; from=<noreply@foldingathome.org> to=<kontakt@kluthr.de> proto=ESMTP helo=<foldingathome.org>
Mar 22 21:41:05 s1 postfix/smtpd[18229]: disconnect from unknown[65.254.110.241] ehlo=2 starttls=1 mail=1 rcpt=0/1 data=0/1 rset=1 quit=1 commands=6/8
That means, something at YOUR side seems incorrect. foldintathome does not resolve to the IP mentioned here. Since I did not found any tech mail-addresses, I hope someone of the tech-team read this.

Regards,
bruce

Re: [For server admins] Emails do not arrive due to issue r

Post by bruce »

Forwarded.
jcoffland
Site Admin

Post by jcoffland »

We recently moved the Website on to a different server so the IP address for foldingathome.org changed but the mail server stayed put. I'm working on fixing this. Thanks for the report.
Cauldron Development LLC
http://cauldrondevelopment.com/
WebCF

Post by WebCF »

The mails just came in. Seem to work now. Thanks :)

Is it possible to merge two passkeys to one username? I own now two passkeys with same username and would merge them.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

No ... just use the one you created with the association of the UserName you'll use and the valid email address.

If you're unsure about the association you used, just ask again for a passkey with the proper parameters.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
quackyo

Post by quackyo »

It also seems to not pass SPF so the mails goes to spam:
7.50 SPF_SOFTFAIL SPF: sender does not match SPF record (softfail)

A quick check of your SPF record says google is the only one included, but mail is sent from Amazon.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

quackyo wrote:It also seems to not pass SPF so the mails goes to spam:
7.50 SPF_SOFTFAIL SPF: sender does not match SPF record (softfail)

A quick check of your SPF record says google is the only one included, but mail is sent from Amazon.
Forwarded

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
jcoffland
Site Admin

Post by jcoffland »

How does it look now?
Cauldron Development LLC
therealMiniMan

Haven't been able to get Passkey?

Post by therealMiniMan »

Hey,

I just got into this and requested a passkey around 24 hours ago and haven't gotten anything back.
Not sure where this goes here but here we go.
quackyo

Post by quackyo »

someone have fixed the SPF issue, received key instantly today!
Joe_H
Site Admin

Re: Haven't been able to get Passkey?

Post by Joe_H »

therealMiniMan wrote:Hey,

I just got into this and requested a passkey around 24 hours ago and haven't gotten anything back.
Not sure where this goes here but here we go.
If you still haven't received the passkey in another 24 hours, post what email domain it was to be sent to and some can check if there is a problem. Also do check spam folder if you haven't yet, some providers filters have been dumping them into there.

ladewig

Re: Haven't been able to get Passkey?

Post by ladewig »

Joe_H wrote:If you still haven't received the passkey in another 24 hours, post what email domain it was to be sent to and some can check if there is a problem. Also do check spam folder if you haven't yet, some providers filters have been dumping them into there.
I've tried for the last few days to get passkeys for several accounts we're planning to use at our University. I've found that users are receiving passkeys sent to user@wustl.edu without any issue and within a few seconds. If I try and request passkeys for user@email.wustl.edu, the mail is never received, and as far as I can tell it never even tries to deliver. I don't see any evidence of a connection attempt in the logs.

If someone on the F@H side can check and see whether anything is actually getting sent to @email.wustl.edu addresses, it would be greatly appreciated.

On a related note, the FAQ wasn't quite clear to me on the linking of username, email, and passkey. I know the system links a passkey to a username and email combination, but does it care if a username is associated with multiple email addresses with each pair getting its own passkey? And the other way around, does it care if an email address is associated with multiple usernames? Asking because as we've been trying to figure out the issue with email to one of our domains, I've lost track of which combos of usernames and addresses we've tried.
Scott Ladewig
WashU IT | Washington University in St. Louis
Twitter: @Ladewig
Web: https://www.ladewig.com
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

If you can, check with the WUSTL IT to see if there is a difference in how email is handled between the two variations on address. I will also pass this information on the the person handling the passkey mailer.

As for the link between them, Once a username and email address has had a passkey generated for it, you can always get the same passkey resent using that combination. The passkey is not associated with multiple email addresses, and the system does not care if you use more than one, but see next point.

You can use the same passkey with any username in the folding client. Usually you would use the same username and passkey across as many computers as you want, all points will be associated together that way. Some people choose to have multiple usernames in the client for various reasons, but by using the same passkey all points will be linked to that.

Finally each username and passkey needs to return 10 WUs to qualify for bonus points on returns after that. The can be from a single computer or from many.

Setting a team does not change the above, just that any points assigned to a team will remain permanently with that team.

jcoffland
Site Admin

Post by jcoffland »

The IP address 128.252.160.5 does not have a reverse DNS entry for email.wustl.edu. This is part of how the email system validates that the connecting server is legit.
Cauldron Development LLC
ladewig

Post by ladewig »

jcoffland wrote:The IP address 128.252.160.5 does not have a reverse DNS entry for email.wustl.edu. This is part of how the email system validates that the connecting server is legit.
Thanks!
Scott Ladewig
WashU IT | Washington University in St. Louis
Twitter: @Ladewig
Web: https://www.ladewig.com