Any news on a new GPU client

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

etchells

Any news on a new GPU client

Post by etchells »

Any news on a new GPU client? I want to purchase a GPU to fold as well but, can't determine what to get, I hear there is a new client on the way, is that the case? if so, will it be weeks or months or longer? I am currently running a 2core AMD, a core duo, a pentium m and two PS3's and now I'd like to put a GPU in play. Any advice?
AMD 4800+ OCed to 2.8, 2xRaptors in Raid 0, Swiftech 3x120 water// HP Core Duo Laptop 2.0// PS3
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

The only thing we knows is that there is a new GPU client under developpement ... we don't have information on a possible release date :(

If you want to fold immediately, buy a x19xx board.

If you want to bet on the next supported boards, HD 2900 (R600) and HD 3870 (RV670) have good chances of being the next supported boards/chips ... HD3870/HD3850 are sold at an interesting price, compared to what you get (decent performances and reasonable power consumption) ;)

If you want to play games with the best performances for that, and finally don't care about Folding, nVidia boards will be the best.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Post by Ivoshiee »

Latest hint about the new GPU client:
http://folding.typepad.com/news/2007/11 ... o-new.html
etchells

thanks toTOW

Post by etchells »

thanks toTOW, I am running Nvidia in SLI currently (2x7900GT overclocked) but, best I can tell folding doesn't support these cards, so I am running folding in my dual core CPU, I'd like to add a GPU that will fold to the mix as I understand the performance of GPU's with regard to folding is excellent. I do thing the new ATI cards 3870, are outstanding value so I could get one but, want to be sure about the client support, no sense in buying something if it won't fold. I'm new to this folding, I have a familty member with a condition folding is researching so for me it's personal and I want to do what I can to help.
AMD 4800+ OCed to 2.8, 2xRaptors in Raid 0, Swiftech 3x120 water// HP Core Duo Laptop 2.0// PS3
etchells

ah- there you go

Post by etchells »

thanks ivoshiee- so it's ATI- that's ok- I am on Nvidia now but, if they won't do the right thing and support folding then I've got some good cards available for a good price. I don't study the ATI cards- is the new 3870 the best they have now? are they planning any higher end cards in the near future? any advice appreciated.
etchells

will the new gpu client support crossfire

Post by etchells »

ok you guru's- given the new gpu client will be an ATI thing- will it support Crossfire? or just one gpu at a time?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: will the new gpu client support crossfire

Post by 7im »

etchells wrote:ok you guru's- given the new gpu client will be an ATI thing- will it support Crossfire? or just one gpu at a time?
No crossfire support is the guess, as crossfire does not improve FAH client performance. Crossfire can't handle the inter-card data sharing requirements. And that's why they developed a GPU client that can run on multiple GPUs.

This threas is locked, as there is already an open thread to discuss the coming GPU clients. Please continue the discussion there: http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=152

Thanks.