Hardware Firewalls

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

adamQ

Hardware Firewalls

Post by adamQ »

Hello

I am a recent user who has recently added 8 machines to F@H. 1x MacBook Pro is at my home and works completely fine and has done 10-15 WUs in the last week. However the other 7 (2x Windows 10, 5x Macs) are at work and sit behind a hardware firewall and don't want to work.

The errors from the Mac's is

Code: Select all

11:21:21:WU00:FS00:Connecting to 65.254.110.245:8080
11:22:12:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get ID from '65.254.110.245:8080': 10002: Received short response, expected 8 bytes, got 0
11:22:12:WU00:FS00:Connecting to 18.218.241.186:80
11:23:02:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get ID from '18.218.241.186:80': 10002: Received short response, expected 8 bytes, got 0
11:23:02:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Could not get an assignment ID
The error from the Window's is

Code: Select all

15:46:10:Connecting to assign1.foldingathome.org:8080
15:46:30:WARNING:Attempting to update GPUs.txt from assign1.foldingathome.org:8080: Failed to read stream
15:46:30:Connecting to assign2.foldingathome.org:80
15:46:50:WARNING:Attempting to update GPUs.txt from assign2.foldingathome.org:80: Failed to read stream
15:46:55:ERROR:Receive error: 10053: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.
At first when I suspected that the issue might be the shortage of WUs due to high demand, but I ruled this out as it has now been a week and by MBP has been chugging away at many WUs over the same time period.

On all 7 machines I have deactivated all saftware firewalls and antivirus software to test and the same issue occured. Windows firewall has the correct exception. I turned my suspicions to the hardware firewalls.

My conclusion is that the SonicWall hardware firewall is the issue. My question is does anyone have any experience, advice or recommendations on how to allow F@H traffic through a hardware firewall? I wanted to harvest people's experience before I go testing.

Thansk for your time in advanced
MobileGamesMotion
Hardware configuration: Windows 7, Intel i7-6600U CPU on a laptop

Re: Hardware Firewalls

Post by MobileGamesMotion »

For the mac, I think you should restart fahclient. Other than that, wait a few days for replies and if no one answers, repost it, and delete dis one, post it on the extreme overclock forums, or private message it to Joe_H or somebody who has a high status.
#StayAtHome #AlertNotAnxious #FoldForCOVID :) :idea: :egeek:
Basic help stuff:viewtopic.php?f=61&t=26036 | Find Your Stats:https://stats.foldingathome.org/donors
https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

The 10053 error messages you can ignore, they come from Web Control not closing its connection properly.

There are some basic things that may need setting up on either the Sonic firewall or locally on the computers. The FAHClient process uses HTTP connections over ports 8080 and/or 80 to transfer data up and down. Some firewalls block such transfers if they are not from "known" web browsers such as Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and so on. If that is the case, then an exception has to be entered for that which allows FAHClient the same access.

Another type of block that some firewalls have is for connections over "raw" IP numbers which is how most of the FAHClient connections are made. Someone posted here recently about running into this on his setup sitting behind some other top of firewall than Sonic, forget the name. He worked around it by setting up a script to periodically ping the servers by their hostnames, with the IP number in the cache the FAHClient connections would work. That would not be the most ideal way, possibly there is a setting on the Sonic to address this.

There may be some other issues, these are the ones I could come up with right now.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

I would be cautious using someone else's computers to fold.
Make sure you have written permission from the owner of the PCs. (CEO if a corporation.)
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
adamQ

Post by adamQ »

Thank you for all your replies. I appreciate you taking the time to have a think.

I have restarted all the machines this morning which doesn't appear to have helped, and they have had numerous restarts over the last 7 days.

Thansk Joe_H for the suggestions. I will look into this, although I don't think the hardware firewall cares what application the 80 or 8080 traffic comes from. I did try the pinging solution this mroning and that didn't work.

JimboPalmer. Thanks for your advice. Very sensible and valied. In this case these are machines I am responsible for and I have the blessing of the company Directors.

if anyone else has any suggestions I am all ears

Thanks
astrorob

Post by astrorob »

i don't have much to add but i can say that i do occasionally see the 10002 error, although i am getting WUs. for me it happens intermittently and the error says 512 bytes expected, 0 received. i had chalked this up to server overload.

i think if you just go to those IP addresses @ :80 or :8080 the server returns a placeholder web page. do you see those or is it timing out as well?
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

When you're on one of these machines, what's the usual procedure to connect to the Internet with your browser ?

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
adamQ

Post by adamQ »

Hello

Thats all for your suggestions. I am pleased to say the problem has been solves.

SonicWall Content Filter. Even with no rules set it was blocking F@H. Turn the filter off and it works a charm.

28 computers now up and running.