Slider question/s

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Roadpower

Slider question/s

Post by Roadpower »

If the slider is in either Medium or Full and I move it to Light while the GPU is working on a project, does the project get paused? If I hit Finish after having moved the slider to Light will the GPU finish from where it got paused and then go into idle?

Or is there already a detailed write up on the slider and work button behaviors for the Client Advanced Control on the Linux platform?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Slider question/s

Post by Joe_H »

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Roadpower

Post by Roadpower »

I knew I should have linked to that page as an example of what I have already read, I've already read it a dozen times. :lol: I'm interested in the nuances of slider and button behaviors. :mrgreen:
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

From the WayBack Machine archive - https://web.archive.org/web/20160311035 ... ermediate/

Some of the items in the table aren't exact, Medium is 1 less than the total available CPU threads, not 80%. Most things have not changed much from what is described there, or the advanced V7 page linked there. If some detail raises a question, post here and someone should be able to give current info.

One thing that changed, the On Idle setting was broken out to be separate, and at some point context menus were created in FAHControl for the folding slots.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Roadpower

Post by Roadpower »

@Joe_H

Thank you Joe! I appreciate you digging up that archived link. Here is what I found out so far by just resorting to trying out a few things. First off I was initially timid about upsetting the work in progress, after I decided to get over that I moved the slider to Light while a GPU job was underway. After that I attempted both the Finish and Fold buttons while the slider was at Light. They had an apparent zero effect, the GPU slot would not resume folding. It only resumed when I moved the slider back to Medium.

That is somewhat unfortunate in my view. Perhaps there is a CLI instruction that would overcome that, I don't know. My reasoning is that I would like it if I were able to set the slider to Light and then instruct to finish the job, after which the GPU would enter idle mode. Perhaps I've misunderstood something or made a mistake but at the moment that is what I have observed for how Client Advanced Control panel works.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Roadpower wrote:...My reasoning is that I would like it if I were able to set the slider to Light and then instruct to finish the job, after which the GPU would enter idle mode. Perhaps I've misunderstood something or made a mistake but at the moment that is what I have observed for how Client Advanced Control panel works.
Correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that you would like to:
1) Inform the GPU to fold the current WU and not get a new WU
2) Inform the GPU to fold only when the system is idle

If that's the case, you can open up FAHControl (Advanced Control), select the GPU Slot, right click it and:
1) Click Finish - Will finish the current WU and not ask for a new WU
2) Tick On idle - Will will cause the GPU slot to only fold when idle*

*The idle condition is determined by the OS itself.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
Roadpower

Post by Roadpower »

PantherX wrote: 1) Inform the GPU to fold the current WU and not get a new WU
Correct, that is what I desired.
PantherX wrote:If that's the case, you can open up FAHControl (Advanced Control), select the GPU Slot, right click it and:
1) Click Finish - Will finish the current WU and not ask for a new WU
Hmm, I thought I tried selecting the slot and right clicking for the menu in addition to hitting the button the first time around but now I'm not sure that I did. I will have to test again.
PantherX wrote:2) Tick On idle - Will will cause the GPU slot to only fold when idle*
*The idle condition is determined by the OS itself.
I'm using a Ubuntu variant, LinuxMint. Does specific idle condition parameters depend on OS and might that account for what I experienced?

Thanks PantherX!
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Roadpower wrote:...I'm using a Ubuntu variant, LinuxMint. Does specific idle condition parameters depend on OS and might that account for what I experienced?...
For Linux, depending on what window manager you're using, the criteria for idle might vary. Generally speaking, for Linux, it is when there's no input from the keyboard and mouse for several minutes. Do note that if you have a high DPI mouse there's a possibility that the vibrations from your system will not allow the mouse to be idle.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
Roadpower

Post by Roadpower »

PantherX wrote:
Roadpower wrote:...I'm using a Ubuntu variant, LinuxMint. Does specific idle condition parameters depend on OS and might that account for what I experienced?...
For Linux, depending on what window manager you're using, the criteria for idle might vary. Generally speaking, for Linux, it is when there's no input from the keyboard and mouse for several minutes. Do note that if you have a high DPI mouse there's a possibility that the vibrations from your system will not allow the mouse to be idle.
Okay thank again! :grin: