My protein broke in half

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

NuovaApe

My protein broke in half

Post by NuovaApe »

While rummaging around github (where the source code for FAH is kept) I found a new version of the viewer.

I spun it up and it shows the protein starting of as a big lump then splitting in half - both halves continuing to fold.

Can this really happen or more likely a viewer issue? If it's the latter then I'm disappointed it isn't the former - far more interesting!

CPU Project: 13850 (Run 0, Clone 10448, Gen 16)

https://www.techpowerup.org/edit?file=/ ... 4d04cf0949
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: My protein broke in half

Post by toTOW »

Here's an explanation I got from the project owner :
justinrporter wrote:It’s almost certainly the periodic boundaries. We simulate not a single protein in a box but actually an infinite lattice if identical proteins only one of which is represented explicitly. When the protein reaches the end of the box, it just enters back in in from the other side.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Post by Neil-B »

iirc Asteroids had a very similar feature :)
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
NuovaApe

Post by NuovaApe »

Neil-B wrote:iirc Asteroids had a very similar feature :)
:lol:
NuovaApe

Post by NuovaApe »

Thanks for reaching out toTOW and explaining. This combo of science/software is just brilliant.

The split occurred somewhere between snapshot 1 and 2.
Stayed separated for ages then like gravity joined up again in the center, coming toward each other from the edges.
Only to change their minds and fly off again.

Best film I've seen for ages!
bruce

Post by bruce »

NuovaApe wrote:Thanks for reaching out toTOW and explaining. This combo of science/software is just brilliant.

The split occurred somewhere between snapshot 1 and 2.
Stayed separated for ages then like gravity joined up again in the center, coming toward each other from the edges.
Only to change their minds and fly off again.

Best film I've seen for ages!
If you're talking about the game, then maybe that's true. If you're talking about the atoms in FAH, then there is no gravity because the segments are actually joined except that an edge of the box transforms them in the image by the exact distance between the two edges of the box.

To get a viewable image, some work is done by the FAHCore and some is done in the viewer. Neither codebase is exclusively responsible for the entire process. Which half of the process SHOULD be responsible for which step should be negotiated by managment and the assigned teams need to follow the rules.

As long as the test case never moves across the box boundary, the team can claim that their code is correct because nothing is split, but that's obviously not the right answer. Somebody needs to transform the disconnected pieces into a single, connected protein image.
NuovaApe

Post by NuovaApe »

Hi Bruce. I was talking about the 2 "cleaved" halves coming back under gravity/strong/weak magnetic forces. That's how it appeared at least. I'm no physicist so they all look the same to me;-)

They didn't go out one side of the box and come back in the other like asteroids or some universe physics theories.

They rotated "to fit" when attracted then repulsed. But that's just the snapshot sequence playing backwards/cycling methinks.

TBH I'm not bothered about viewing. It's just I've never seen it work on Windows and some guy shared a build that let me peek.

Seeing it for a brief while let me understand, visually, the complexity of this stuff. All those parallel dynamics that nature does with ease.

It left me understanding less.

The purpose of all this is not just to see start and end, but all the steps in between, right?

How does one analyse all these "frames" to identify opportune moments for mending/breaking a fold sequence.

Watching the viewer "video" you see patterns, circles of the same color, places where you could poke a stick.

I don't get how the results can be analysed computationally. SETI has easy to detect spikes. What are yours?!

Please don't answer. I'll end up understanding even less until I'm in negative knowledge land;-)
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

NuovaApe wrote:...The purpose of all this is not just to see start and end, but all the steps in between, right?
This is what F@H sees via simulation:
NuovaApe wrote:...How does one analyse all these "frames" to identify opportune moments for mending/breaking a fold sequence...
That would be the scientists and researchers using statistical sampling to find the most promising aspects of the protein folding to analyze.
NuovaApe wrote:...I don't get how the results can be analysed computationally. SETI has easy to detect spikes. What are yours?!...
It's molecular dynamic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_dynamics) within the protein folding system (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_f ... in_folding).
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
NuovaApe

Post by NuovaApe »

Thanks for that PantherX - my brain needs a detraction from the obvious right now.

That "squiggle" diagram looks like an old Richard Feynman squiggle diagram I never mastered either.

I stand on the shoes of giants, always looking up;-)
bruce

Post by bruce »

Can somebody send back the an example a copy of viewerFrame%d.json and viewerTop.json files when this happens?
NuovaApe

Post by NuovaApe »

Bruce - lightening never strikes twice and I've viewed/overwritten json since.

It appears lightening does strike twice and I'm seeing same again (CPU).

I have an unofficial build of Windows viewer and don't want to waste peoples time on this. (meertronix)

I've paused.

There's json and the argonoughts in my work folder.

Will zip and unpause...

Please don't spend too much time on "viewer" problems for me. I wanna crack on and munch numbers;-)
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

NuovaApe wrote:...I have an unofficial build of Windows viewer and don't want to waste peoples time on this. (meertronix)...
My take is that it's a data gathering exercise. Regardless of if it's a bug or not, we have the data to analyze either now or in future. Given that it's rare to reproduce, better to get it sooner than later when reliably reproducing this issue can be a problem.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
bruce

Post by bruce »

The split protein is a long-standing issue. It only strikes when there's enough charge in the clouds to create the bolt, but I still think it should be fixed. You're not the first one to run into it and you won't be the last.
NuovaApe

Post by NuovaApe »

It's not that rare - seen it occur with 3 recent WUs (CPU). The last one had 3 splits in the same WU. I took an mp4 of it.

I've backed up the viewerTop/viewerFrame json files for this last one. How best to "send back" these files?

Presumably you don't need all viewerFrames, just the snapshot number when the split occurred?
NuovaApe

My protein broke in half

Post by NuovaApe »

bruce wrote:Can somebody send back the an example a copy of viewerFrame%d.json and viewerTop.json files when this happens?
Happy to Bruce.
PantherX wrote:
NuovaApe wrote:...I have an unofficial build of Windows viewer and don't want to waste peoples time on this. (meertronix)...
My take is that it's a data gathering exercise. Regardless of if it's a bug or not, we have the data to analyze either now or in future. Given that it's rare to reproduce, better to get it sooner than later when reliably reproducing this issue can be a problem.
bruce wrote:The split protein is a long-standing issue. It only strikes when there's enough charge in the clouds to create the bolt, but I still think it should be fixed. You're not the first one to run into it and you won't be the last.
I've seen the split in 3 WUs in as many days. The last had 3 splits in the same WU. I've backed up the viewerTop/viewerFrames for this one, and took an mp4 of the viewer splitting.

Let me know how to send these files back; FTP, paste here, or pastebin.com - not email as having troubles with it.

Do you need just the viewerTop + viewerFrame%d for the integer snapshot number when the split(s) occurred?