Adding a client to FAHControl

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Oh4ccidentalMeow

Adding a client to FAHControl

Post by Oh4ccidentalMeow »

Hello,

Maybe somebody had the same issue but managed to resolve it. I installed FAH 7.6.9 on 2 computers. The computers are on the same wireless network that on both computers is configures as "Private". When you open Folding@home for the first time Windows (10 Pr x64) firewall asks you to allow access within the Private network and I clicked yes on both machines. Later I also verified this in the advanced settings of the windows firewall. Now when I'm opening FAHControl on one computer I want to add the the other computer. I connected to the other computer by it's DHCP reserved IP: 192.168.2....:36330 but it will not connect although the client is actively folding on the other client. Any ideas?

Regards,

pachydermus

Re: Adding a client to FAHControl

Post by pachydermus »

Have you checked your host config?

The advanced client neglects to enter one of the necessary entries in the config. Took me ages fiddling with firewalls (as per previous suggestions) until I googled what a config should look like and found this:

<!-- HTTP Server -->
<allow v='127.0.0.1,192.168.1.0/24'/>
<!-- Network -->
<proxy v=':8080'/>
<!-- Remote Command Server -->
<command-allow-no-pass v='127.0.0.1,192.168.1.0/24'/>
<password v='pass'/>
<!-- Slot Control -->
<power v='full'/>
<!-- User Information -->
<passkey v=your passkey/>
<user v=your name/>

<!-- Web Server -->
<web-allow v='127.0.0.1,192.168.1.0/24'/>
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

... and restart the folding client on the system with that remote-enabled config once after the change in config is done.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
Oh4ccidentalMeow

Post by Oh4ccidentalMeow »

@pachydermus Many thanks! I would have never figured this out by myself. FYI these 2 lines taken from the sample-config.xml did it for me:

<!-- Granting Remote FAHControl Access
To grant remote access to FAHControl and the remote command server add
the following:

<allow>127.0.0.1 x.x.x.x</allow>
<password>PASS</password>

Where x.x.x.x is the IP address of the computer which should be granted
remote access and PASS is you choose to further secure the connection.
-->
bruce

Post by bruce »

While using the DHCP assigned IP address works, it's not a permanent solution. In those rare instances when it's nececessary to restart your LAN, your router may assign a different IP address and then it's a nuisance to fix. I always find the host-name. for each machine and it continues to work. I assign a meaningful hostname manually when I set up a new kit.

Don't fix it while it's working, but next time when you find it doesn't work, assign a hostname and from another machine, confirm that you can ping to that hostname.