Folding@home wiki

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

NoMoreQuarantine

Folding@home wiki

Post by NoMoreQuarantine »

The forum tends to see a lot of repeat questions, which I suspect are due in large part because people are not able to conveniently find the information they are searching for. I think a Folding@home wiki would be a good solution for gathering information for both new users and experts alike in a familiar user friendly format. I am sure there are a lot of experienced folders who would be happy to contribute. What do you guys think?
JimboPalmer

Re: Folding@home wiki

Post by JimboPalmer »

You think they searched?

They did not read the splash page, so I doubt they did any other reading.

YMMV.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
NoMoreQuarantine

Post by NoMoreQuarantine »

JimboPalmer wrote:You think they searched?
Most probably don't if I had to guess :roll:

Let's imagine what it's like to be an average lazy user. These people are attempting to expend as little energy as possible. It probably goes something like this: new user submits query to google, skims the first couple of results and clicks the first one that looks close, winds up at this forum, discovers the post doesn't answer their question (or is just too long for them to bother reading), creates account, makes new post. They could spend a couple extra seconds searching for a recent up-to-date post that contains an answer to their query... or they could just shoot off a new post and wait to be spoonfed.

Alternatively, with a wiki: user submits query to google, wiki article is first result, they skim it and find their answer. Forum goers rejoice!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

There was a F@h wiki, people stopped contributing to it and the information went out of date. However it was useful for some lookups. Ultimately it went away when the person who had kept the site up passed away.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3