GPU assignment of big WUs to slow GPUs

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: GPU assignment of big WUs to slow GPUs

Post by bruce »

How many hours per day? (0.3 days to complete = 7.2 hours per day.)

If you fold a couple of hours and shut off your computer you really can't expect to get a bonus. That's what baseline points are for.
aetch

Post by aetch »

bruce wrote:If you fold a couple of hours and shut off your computer
I think that's the issue. He can only donate a few hours at a time and wants work units small enough that he can complete, return and provide some benefit.
Folding Rigs - None (25-Jun-2022)

ImageImage
bruce

Post by bruce »

Understood, but scientifically speaking slow returns are costly to the projects ... which is why there's a Final Deadline as well as a preferred deadline. What probability would you estimate for the reissued WU to be returned by someone else before he returns the one his computer is sitting on?
bruce

Post by bruce »

rwh202 wrote:The old v6 client allowed you to 'request work units without deadlines' and there was greater use of the 'packet-size' flags to get bigger or smaller WUs (that was mostly concerned about data bandwidth, but had the same effect).
False. The projects without deadlines were discontinued long before that and they were actually not part of FAH though they shared the servers and points system. They were called Genome@home.

the packet-size flag is still operational, but most of the project owners don't bother to set it for their project.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

bruce wrote:
rwh202 wrote:The old v6 client allowed you to 'request work units without deadlines' and there was greater use of the 'packet-size' flags to get bigger or smaller WUs (that was mostly concerned about data bandwidth, but had the same effect).
False. The projects without deadlines were discontinued long before that and they were actually not part of FAH though they shared the servers and points system. They were called Genome@home.

the packet-size flag is still operational, but most of the project owners don't bother to set it for their project.
The last is true enough, I've sent off messages more than once during beta testing for projects whose return sizes were much larger than "Normal" so that a "Big" setting would be required to get them. A 130 MB return file takes over half an hour to upload on my DSL connection, the default setting of "Normal" for the client is limited to 25 MB.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Foliant

Post by Foliant »

Today, on my slowest card, i noticed a WU rendering at 54 Minutes per Frame.
Usually i get things done before or slightly after the Timeout.

I have some idea / feature request that might either be verry dumb or smart:

After lets say 5% or 10% progress the client uses a formula involving Estimated TPF to decide if a WU can be calculated within the Expiration (or maybe Timeout +x)and if not can automaticaly dump the WU.
There also should be a Option like autodumpbigtpf v="false" if someone uses old hardware and knows it normally works within or short after the timeout.

I dont know how hard to code that idea is and also dont have the inside knowledge to evaluate if that would help at all.

Regards,
Patrick
24/7
1x i5 3470 @2Cores
1x GTX750 (GM107)
2x GTX750Ti (GM107)
bruce

Post by bruce »

You can post the enhancement request at https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-issues. It might (or might not) get incorporated into the next version of the client. The question that's going to be asked is how big an increase will this produce in total WUs per day.

You probably should either add it to https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-issues/issues/1479 or reference that suggestion.
Foliant

Post by Foliant »

I dont have a github account - could someone throw my idea into the pool for me?
24/7
1x i5 3470 @2Cores
1x GTX750 (GM107)
2x GTX750Ti (GM107)