Can't access "folding@home client"

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

LAinWLA

Can't access "folding@home client"

Post by LAinWLA »

Not sure where to post this. I thought I posted it in one discussion group and now I can't see it....

I'm relatively new and very clueless about how folding works. Just trying to be helpful by donating my computer's processing capacity. But when I'm working remotely for my job, folding slows down my computer a little so while I am working, I always set it to fold only when my machine is idle.

As of this morning, I can't access my "folding@home client" through the web. The page just hangs, and never advances to the stage where I can click to stop folding or change it to fold only when my machine is idle. Does anyone know why this is happening?

It seems like my only option for turning off folding at this point would be to uninstall the program or whatever it is that makes it go.
LAinWLA

Re: Can't access "folding@home client"

Post by LAinWLA »

A reboot solved the problem. Sorry for the bother. Mods feel free to delete this thread altogether.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Re: Can't access "folding@home client"

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum LAinWLA,

Can you please post the log file? Ensure you include the first 100 lines which will inform us of what the system configuration is and what the client settings are. If you require guidance, please view this topic: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036

Assuming that you're folding on the CPU and GPU, the "slowness" is highly likely to be caused by the GPU folding rather than the CPU folding. You can configure the CPU to be folding 24/7 and it will virtually not have any impact as the priority is quite low and most applications have a higher priority. For your GPU, you can configure it to fold only when on idle. Alternatively, you can disable hardware acceleration which may minimize/eliminate the screen lag (slowness) that you might be encountering.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues